How to us one's Laptop

Hi to every one at sitepoint

my question is how dose one us there own laptop to host there website
I’ve read book’s saying this but dose not go into detail on how one can
set up there laptop to do so.I appreciate any help.

Thank you

cop,

Welcome to SitePoint!

To self-host would be foolish (IMHO) and likely to violate the terms and conditions of your ISP. There are many threads here with excellent advice against self-hosting which center upon the lack of server-level resources (hardware and software) available to you, upon the lack of in-depth security and your inability to monitor the inevitable hack attacks 7/24/365¼. You would be far ahead to obtain an inexpensive account with a reputable host (like WebHostingBuzz - links below - where I maintain three accounts) as they have far better hardware and software than you can afford, they are responsible for hardware and software (not your code which may be error prone especially if you’re using a CMS) and have the experienced staff to monitor around the clock.

If you’re doing this for yourself (as a test server), I used to recommend Kevin Yank’s book … UNTIL he capitulated to using XAMPP or other canned applications which offer just a snapshot without any hope of ever matching your production server’s applications. If you download his FREE chapter on installation and it doesn’t have the ‘download and install individual programs,’ PM me for an edited copy of his earlier work edition FREE chapter modified to be used as a checklist (for a Windows installation).

Regards,

DK

For what purpose do you need your website ? Do you have an external IP ?

You’d need to install server software such as wamp. And then open port 80 on your router. Personally it wouldn’t be worth the hassle. I’d also check with your isp to see if they allow web servers to be hosted, some do and some don’t.

Chad

On top of what everyone else already stated, most ISP’s block port 80 anyway, so you likely can’t self-host.

Thanks DK. This is exactly all the OP really needs to know about self-hosting.

Back in 2005 I started a project to host a site using my old desktop. It was a complete disaster as my ISP (Comcast) shut down my service for breach of their terms of service! So I literally tell everyone now to not self-host. It is not worth not having internet for a long time before they un-blacklist you.

Why do you want to host your site on your laptop when you an buy decent hosting and avoid self-harassment for couple of bucks a month?