How Would You Market A Music Video/MP3 Blog?

So… I have a site I launched about 6 weeks ago.

I have only just recently started some minor marketing of the site, as the prior work I have done has been design and content. As of right now, my site is a series of music video posts with a few featured artist posts here and there and a music news feeds page (more so for users benefit and to generate some traffic). I have plans to start incorporating playlists as well as doing a music culture blog where I actually write (as opposed to posting videos and songs).

I am a bit confused about how to gain traffic to the blog. I have done some onsite seo, however, I have some more work to do there. Offsite seo I am clueless about. I have looked into rss feed/blog directories, but most of them look like a waste of time. There are some music forums, but most of them don’t allow links to blogs within the signatures. Twitter hasn’t been much help so far either. I have looked into outsourcing seo, but from what I have read, there are a lot of shady people in that business.

Now, the site is very new, so I don’t expect massive results overnight, but I am baffled as to how to gain traffic (without advertising), as most of what I read is all over the place and a bit generic. I know that as I add more and more content, that overtime I will get more hits.

My thoughts is that, in the beginning, I should put all of my focus into only a few methods.

To the experts: How would you market a music blog like mine? What would be the best place to start?

There are many ways to market a blog such as yours. But there are certain things you should watch out for -

1. Does your blog run ads.
  2. Social Bookmarking for your blog.
  3. Promote your blog in your network so that your blog website creates buzz around music loving people.
  4. Directory Submissions for your Blog.
  5. Check the Alexa rank consistently for your website. Important for you to track traffic of your website.

I would start with the social video sites like youtube etc.

Interesting. I have thought about youtube, just haven’t been sure what I should do with it. I’ll have to think about what kinds of videos I could put up. I have to be careful about violating copyrights, because I walk that line as it is.

What types of videos do you think would work best?