Htaccess? Headers? Mp3s On Subdomain Will Not Stream Correctly

This is an odd one that I believe I’ve narrowed down to some kind of MIME issue wit mp3 streaming. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post my exact URLs, but I will anyway.

I’ve used dozens of mp3 players (flash, html5, etc). No matter what, if the mp3 came from my .forum subdomain, there are major issues (particularly with iPhones), but to a lesser extent Android and most Windows web browsers.

The best way to see the bug is to checkout my little troubleshooting page: http://forum.recordingreview.com/test.php The first player is flash and the 2ndis html5. In the first example the mp3 is from the forum domain. The flash player will give me a “connecting” message that never goes away. With the html5 player I get new message, but in both players I can not skip around within the file. (A big deal on my site.) On an iPhone, the file simply can not be played.

On the file stored on www, I have no such problems. The mp3 player works exactly like it should in flash and html5.

There seems to be something in the configuration of my .forum subdomain that’s causing problems. I’m on a dedicated server and can make any necessary changes. I’ve attempted to inspect headers for each file but I’ve head no luck.

Thanks!
Brandon

BD,

Sorry, Brandon, no direct answer for your post.

I’m sure, however, that you are aware that users can disable flash and that not everyone has updated to be able to use HTML5 features (and many are implemented partially if at all by the different browsers; smartphone browsers should NOT have this problem). For you, though, you should not be seeing these problems.

I have had problems (on behalf of a client) with multiple visitors trying to download 28Mb+ mp3 files and I’d narrowed that down to conflicts with the multiple visitors connecting at different speeds but at nearly the same time. That’s a different problem, though.

The selective playback position would be part of the controls setup for playing your mp3 files. No reason for them not to act as they are designed.

Yeah, no help, I know. My only suggestion would be to reexamine your code for PRECISION in meeting the specs of your flash/HTML5 features.

Regards,

DK

Flash is still the most reliable way of delivering audio streaming on the desktop. On mobile I defer to html5. I bought into html5 for some time, but after an astonishing # of complaints from users around the world I decided it wasn’t ready. I love the concept of html5, but it sure seems buggy at least compared to the days when we only had to worry about 2 web browsers.

Yeah, my code could be an issue, but in situations where the only thing that changes is the URL I still have major issues. I believe my issues are on the server level, but have been incredibly difficult to troubleshoot.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.