Htaccess, preventing hotlinking

Hey guys, I have a wordpress blog that is a using excessive bandwidth, over a gigabyte a day. Is there reasons I shouldn’t prevent hotlinking? Is the following a good way to do it?

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(.+\.)?mywebsite\.com/ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !google\. [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !search\?q=cache [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !msn\. [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !yahoo\. [NC]
RewriteRule .*\.(jpe?g|gif|bmp|png|jpg)$ /images/nohotlink.jpe [L]

I don’t want to affect anything about my blog negatively or somehow mess up wordpress with this htaccess, which I doubt would happen?

Would you guys suggest doing anything differently in my situation? The htaccess method is the only way I am aware of, since last I ran into this issue many years ago.

I think this would be a good way of doing it, as you displayed above with the .htaccess.
This will keep all your pages intact loading fine.

I would recommend doing a test run on your blog first.

If you want to do the work, IMHO there is a better way. The htaccess rules you posted can be circumvented by someone simply by turning off Referer or spoofing Google.

• Protected Images go into a folder outside of the public root folder, no direct HTTP requests possible
  • Pages with image links set a SESSION (or maybe a CONSTANT ?)
  • Image links point to - OR - htaccess rewrites requests for images to
    a script file that checks the SESSION and if OK fopen()s the image returning it with appropriate headers
    if not OK, display broken image or a custom default

I guess the biggest problem area might be setting SESSION on all your pages.

Pages could still be scraped, but it would prevent all hot-linking.

Are you certain the images are the main culprit? Maybe you should look into flood control.