HTML 5 Outlining Aesthetics

To those who are familiar with the concept of HTML 5 Outlining, something about seeing “Untitled _______” in the outline bugs me, but semantically, adding a HEADING tag isn’t needed (though I could use CSS to hide it visually) ie

<section>
<p>Test</p>
</section>

Results in “UNTITLED Section”, though the code is exactly what’s needed.

<section>
<h1>Title Here</h1>
<p>Test</p>
</section>

Results in “Title Here” (which looks nice, but has a HEADING tag that isn’t needed, and CSS needs to now make it display: none)

So am I putting too much emphasis on the outline, or should I be more concerned with the code being right?

While it would be nice to have a comprehensible document outline, headings at the top of a <section> element are only recommended, not required.

If your solution is to add a heading and then hide it, you’re better off with “Untitled SECTION” in the outline.

Would you say “Title here” if you read the page to someone else over the phone?

It makes no sense to put “Title Here” when it isn’t there. :wink: Similarly to what zcorpan says, picture blind users having the page read out to them with a screen reader. That title might get read to them.

If a section doesn’t need a title, it’s probably not a section. Perhaps you’d be better off using a <hr>.