HTML/CSS advice, got any?

So your saying code = wait time on editors? It produces extra code since your writing over html/css with your own html/javascript?

That doesn’t make any sense on wait time. Code is so lightweight for the most part. 35 MBPS on a 100 MBPS connection means I might wait a .001 of a second longer which is unnoticable to me. Got a little better arguement for that unless I got it the wrong way?

Can someone show me the difference between like a blog editor and someone who does there own hard coding? Why is hard coding considered a better route? I know it’s better because then I can actually create a login to my site for the most part.

That’s a confusing question! But I’ll call hard coding anything where you open up a text editor like Notepad or TextMate and start typing.

1. Javascript > flash - better than flash for the most part? An entire website in flash is bad for a beginner and only works well with well known companies? If I’m wrong here just say it.

Two very different things, although the ActionScript language in Flash is a sort of cousin to Javascript.
Flash can only be viewed by those with the Flash player. Not all people have the Flash Player (I don’t on my main machine, I do on my Windows section). HTML webpages are navigatable and usable by keyboard, stylus, even by finger (touchscreen). Flash only is if you build it so (meaning, you’d better be very good at Flash before building an entire website out of it). Flash has difficulty getting its content seen by search engines (google has a way to grab some of the text, but again, this is only if you build your Flash that way).
Javascript was meant for a whole different thing, though nowadays it is overlapping some jobs that Flash only used to do. Look around the web for articles about Javascript written by Chris Heilmann, Dustin Diaz, James Edwards/brothercake, Douglad Crockford, and get an idea what you’ll want to learn if you decide to learn Javascript.

Both are good things to know if you want to be a front-end web developer, but getting very good at either will take plenty of time. Pick one and work on it first. I personally would choose Javascript, but I don’t know what your ultimate goals are.

1. Php - best login systems, but it also has it’s downfalls of terrible bugs in it. Can anyone justify php as the best or is it just the most used?

Well, I’m not going to sing PHP’s praises, but most buggy PHP code is due to bad coders (one language may make it easier or harder for bad coders to get bad code working, but ultimately it’s the quality of the coder and his/her code that determines how good it is).

PHP has the advantage of being everywhere. Even the cheapest hosters have it.
You mentioned blogs. Another advantage PHP has is that it runs some of the most popular blogging systems, such as Wordpress, Joomla! and Drupal.

That said, you can choose any of the popular programming languages for back-end web development. I would suggest learning the principles of Good Programming in any case.

I am a hard-core coder but don’t really focus upon server-side scripts. It depends upon how skilled you are as to whether you should write your own Blog or incorporate another system - usually due to security issues, etc.

Flash is very niche if you are considering a whole website and usually causes a web accessibility nightmare amongst other interoperability problems.

It may also help if you also learn about Relational Databases and MySQL if you interested in using PHP later since they work well together.

Thanks Dave. And you deleted my double post AND the apology. Have a coffee on me! :slight_smile:

K, well my site doesn’t seem to load very slow for a .37 mbps connection. I am on my t-mobile phone. The only site that never seems to take longer than 3-5 seconds is Google.com

Black max - I’m not playing into code as a hobby. I learn it and enjoy it for the most part, but if something goes wrong you can screw up a whole site if you don’t know what you are doing. That’s where I worry with hard code for the most part and the fact that you have to back up everything. If people enjoy to write it as in professionally they can, but I’m not at the point where I can just sit down and take a couple of hours to write code. I’m at months of learning still. I’m going for the money currently + the content. The skeletons going to have to wait, but I want someone to give me the hard facts on differences.

Alex Dawson - “So your saying code = wait time on editors? It produces extra code since your writing over html/css with your own html/javascript?”

I was saying what you were saying. The code is more on editors. "code = wait time on editors.

I see your points though Alex. I guess I forget that in the cities everything is better in terms of technology.

The thing is I don’t get though is that does 10 kb of text or 100 kb of text make that much of a difference or does code change when it’s put into working mode? Does it become a larger file since it has to load? Since most of it is just extra text and text isn’t very hard to load.

10 kb of text vs 20 kb of text can that really change the load times by a few seconds?