HTML Email problem

I’m sending out an email via an auto responder. It’s a very simple email, and I’m only using the HTML to put in links for email and a web page.

When I use <p> tags the spacing between paragraphs is normal in my Mac Mail program. However, in my Yahoo email there is no spacing between paragraphs. So, I added “<br />” between paragraphs and all looks good in yahoo but the extra spacing is not desired in my Mac Mail. Any idea to make it look normal in all accounts? Thanks.

Here’s what I’m trying to do:

<p>Hello!</p>
<p>Thank you for trying product.  If you have any questions or need assistance write to <a href="mailto:mail@website.com?subject=Support Request">Support@Website.com</a>.</p>
<p><a href="http://website.com/page.html" target="_blank">
Download Manual and Software</a></p>
<p>Enjoy Product!</p>

Unfortunately, you have to do something like this:

<p [COLOR="#FF0000"]style="margin: 10px 0;"[/COLOR]>Hello!</p>
<p [COLOR="#FF0000"]style="margin: 10px 0;"[/COLOR]>Thank you for trying product.  If you have any questions or need assistance write to <a href="mailto:mail@website.com?subject=Support Request">Support@Website.com</a>.</p>
<p [COLOR="#FF0000"]style="margin: 10px 0;"[/COLOR]><a href="http://website.com/page.html" target="_blank">
Download Manual and Software</a></p>
<p [COLOR="#FF0000"]style="margin: 10px 0;"[/COLOR]>Enjoy Product!</p>

It’s all inline styles with old email, I’m afraid. :frowning:

You should be able to lose the breaks then.

There’s a handy list of what CSS each email client supports here:

Thanks so much Ralph. Looks great now!

You’re welcome! It’s sad that we have to resort to messy code like this, but HTML email is way behind the times. For any kind of fancy layout, tables are essential too. :frowning:

It is such a shame that we have to resort to these kinds of methods with email. I don’t understand why email client’s can’t be updated to accept the later technologies and interpret emails as websites. Is there a specific reason email client creator’s haven’t done this yet?

Allegedly there are security reasons, but that’s boloney, really, as some clients—like Apple Mail—do this quite well. Unfortunately, Microsoft killed off any hopes that things would improve a few years ago by integrating Outlook with the Word rendering engine—essentially sticking a lighted firecracker up the backside of the web standards movement. It’s very frustrating. :frowning:

[If your hatred of Microsoft has been waning lately because of the imporvements in IE, this issue is always a good one for reigniting the flame. :lol: ]

My hate for Microsoft has never waned, nor do I think it ever will! I have used a mac since 05/06 and have never looked back!
In the past I have had problems at work because of Outlook using the Word rendering engine. What are they thinking? Are they in their own little bubble?!

Their thinking process goes something like this:

$$$$ $$$$$$ $$$ $$$$

Trust me, they are working on it. I’ve never personally liked IE (doesn’t seem to be that great of a company. The only thing I’ve ever liked about Microsoft is the Office programs. The OS is okay)

I, luckily, have never had to deal with Outlook or any of its horrible rendering issues.

Of course, the best solution here would be to make a better “Outlook” and force MS to get better with their product, as was done with IE6 :).

Good luck. At least IE was static (and not going backwards). Outlook is on a backwards trajectory, so turning that around will be a bigger job.

The only thing I’ve ever liked about Microsoft is the Office programs.

And there’s another problem, assuming you are speaking for the majority. :slight_smile:

You’re not quite right. IE has many many regression bugs in each version. It may be moving foward in terms of support (however small that is), although the bugs creep up more than cicadas