Hw do i protect my site from spam?

Any one give e ideas for protecting my site spam.

You set link out “nofollow”

Wouldn’t it be better and easier to simply not allow any comments ant have all the content your own?

That’s a very optimistic reply. :slight_smile: All external links here are nofollow, but it doesn’t stop Spammers and other ejits trying to drop links all over the forums. :rolleyes:

If you want user-submitted content, then you need to monitor it constantly for Spam. You could, for example, set all user comments to go into a moderation queue, so that they’re not displayed until you’ve approved them. How practical that approach is depends, of course, on the size and popularity of your site.

samseo,

I’m not sure how your post was edited (as the former Team Leader, I’m too well aware of first post SPAM) but your question is both overly broad and important. For those who look at this thread (for site protection):

1. Use VERY strong passwords for your control panel and FTP (don’t allow telnet connections).

2. If you use a database, check input very carefully before submitting (to prevent SQL attacks).

3. If you use a canned application (e.g., WordPress, Joomla, et al), KEEP IT UP TO DATE (check EVERY day). Script kiddies love to get hacker scripts and deface websites which are not kept up to date.

4. Use a script (I’d written an article with the code and discussed it in this board) to check executable files (.php, .html, .js, etc) files via CRON. I just discovered an attack on one of my client’s websites and was able to use my master files to replace the edited files (and delete the additions) from the e-mailed CRON list of changes.

Those are my top four and I know that there are many, many other things which must be done (and have already been covered in this board - SEARCH the board for more details rather than ask overly broad questions, please).

Regards,

DK

When I was on advanced hosting, we had anti-spam mods installed and they worked wonders for us. When we did have spam, it was very minimal. One mod I liked in particular was Anti-Spam ACP. I don’t remember how that worked, though, as this was quite a while ago.

Hi TechnoBear,

Thank for your reply.But ,I want to know the approved content will not create any spam…?

Hi Dklynn,

I am not strong enough in handling database .But i will definitely keep all your points in mind to protect my site from spammers.

Could you suggest me with any other anti-spam mods

I’m not sure I understand. Obviously, you check the content before approving it; if it’s spammy, then you don’t approve it. Presumably there is no facility for people to edit their posts after they’ve been approved, so I can’t see a problem.

It is really a tough task to do. Because there are number of users in the I-world who are trying to promote their product or services, however the worst part of this is the fact that they do not pass any valuable information to the others which results into spam. To prevent spam in our site we need to spend lot of time, inspecting out each and every content which the other’s are leaving on our sites. But as it is not possible for a single person if the traffic is higher to our site then in such cases we can take help of moderators for our site, they can help us reducing some of our load.