I am new to this but I am fed up with GoDaddy, I need alternative

I have a small company started in 2002. Last year, I decided to go “online” and when I registered the domain with Godaddy, their hosting package seemed very resonable so I went with it as well.
It is just a few simple pages and it does not have a lot of traffic.
I cannot complain.

I also started using their email services because I wanted to use my domain as my email ie (name@mydomain.com) instead of using free email accounts like gmail. However, my clients stopped receiving my emails because many of emails went into their junk mailbox or got filtered. These are not marketing campagn nor mass email. It’s a client specific email to one individual with an important message in it. I was very frustrated and when I called Godaddy, they said it had to do with the security of the recipients.

Anyway, I couldn’t figure out the reason so I need to change service before I start losing business. My question is should I use a separate email service like google apps for my purpose or whatever comes with the good host (hostgater or bluehost etcc) is good enough. I am really new to this beacuse I thought all hostings and emails are the same. Email is definitely more important to be me than the hosting. I do run campaign emails to my clients and it can be more than 500 emails in a day (but less than 1000).

Your help is appreciated. thanks.

If you’ve been happy with Godaddy’s hosting, and happy with gmail for your emails, then go for google apps. That’s what I would do if I were in your shoes. :slight_smile:

citanest,

First, Welcome to SitePoint!

I had a similar problem (as a reseller, it wasn’t just my e-mail, though) at a pair of shared hosting accounts. If you go to SpamCop or SpamHaus, I’m sure that you’ll find that your IP address is in their blacklist (SpamHaus merely takes blocks assigned to a host and blacklists EVERYONE). That happens when a host “allows” spammers on a shared server (and the mail server uses ONE IP address for all the shared accounts).

My solution to that problem was to move to a VPS (or dedicated) server. You may be able to merely use Google apps but I’m not familiar with them.

Regards,

DK

I’m sorry to hear about your poor experiences with GoDaddy.

Generally the email that comes with the web hosting is perfectly fine (at least in most cases). 500-1000 emails per day is perfectly fine, just make sure you check with the provider before signing up. In this case I do not see any need to use a third party service for email. Perhaps you should move host and give their email a try before moving. Godaddy has a very bad reputation for web hosting these days. I think you will have a possitive experience with your new host.

Regards,
Jack

Thanks. Are you referring my internet’s IP or the hosting server’s IP being blacklist? I can change my hosting service but not the internet provider for my business.

[QUOTE=dklynn;44804
16]citanest,

First, Welcome to SitePoint!

I had a similar problem (as a reseller, it wasn’t just my e-mail, though) at a pair of shared hosting accounts. If you go to SpamCop or SpamHaus, I’m sure that you’ll find that your IP address is in their blacklist (SpamHaus merely takes blocks assigned to a host and blacklists EVERYONE). That happens when a host “allows” spammers on a shared server (and the mail server uses ONE IP address for all the shared accounts).

My solution to that problem was to move to a VPS (or dedicated) server. You may be able to merely use Google apps but I’m not familiar with them.

Regards,

DK[/QUOTE]

You can also do the search for so called email hosting. That is separated to traditional one. I suppose that would be something you need

Are you referring my internet’s IP or the hosting server’s IP being blacklist?

It is the hosting server’s IP that can be the problem. Given that hundreds of customers will be using the same IP, all it takes is one sending spam (either willingly, or because his site has been hacked).