I hate css!

[B][I]I am at my wits end with css, actionscript, html, photoshop, illustrator!!! And forget about javascript!!!
I hate this stuff!!! I can’t take it anymore!!! I must be impaired with this stuff! I can’t get it!!! It takes so long! So very very very freaking long!!! What am i doing in this field!!! What the hell am i doing??? Yes i am having a meltdown!!! It takes so much to get all this coding stuff down!!!

I FORGOT TO SAY I HATE DREAMWEAVER TOOOOOOOOOOO
FORGIVE ME BUT I HAVE TO HAVE THIS MELTDOWN![/I][/B]

I think this thread has run its course now and is starting to move off topic :slight_smile:

Thread closed

It’s all in your head. :cool:

Indeed, it’s so huge. I do it for around 10 years, not as job, just as hobby in my free time because I have another job. And every day I have the feeling that new technologies are 10 years more advanced compared to my knowledge. We’re always behind… we’ll always have to learn new things.
It’s just going too fast for me. Certainly if it’s just to fill my spare time as hobby.

Switching from the table-mind to the div-mind was/is a hell for everyone I guess. I still remember going through that phase… browser incompatibilities ahead !
Try it step by step from scratch.
Try to use as less code as possible.

Your meltdown reminds me of two nights ago when I bought a 1200.00 ecommerce custom module and it didn’t have a single instruction on how to A: Install it and B: Use it.

You want to see a meltdown, look for it in the afterlife when our lives or on display for all to see! I flipped!

Keep chugging friend…

Thanks everyone. I’m going to focus on what I can do for now.
Here is a question. Can I still use the divs and CSS inside or with tables until I get the divs totally down?
Thanks

I hear ya…

Correct! You could say I’m a minimalist in terms of design, but it means as few headaches as possible!!

Rgds

I stuck with tables for my layouts. I don’t like browser inconsistencies so that’s why I stick with tables and ultra simple layouts.

Rgds

But to maintain, it’s not good. A maze of code…
Maintaining pages with CSS is a lot more easy.

I guess that’s why you found a solution in making white-looking-pages only. Without a design nothing can go wrong.

I just viewed the first one of your sites and the Validation Tool I mentioned earlier, showed that your site had errors. I clicked the red icon and here are the detailed results for the 168 errors and 3 warnings:

http://www.graabr.com/l14Psb/

As you mentioned before that you don’t like browser inconsistencies and prefer tables. I think the problem with the different browsers is that they have to guess at what you are trying to achieve when your introduce errors into your scripts. Each browser displays a different result.

Try to program without errors and warnings. The differences in browsers will be minimal.

Please take two of these pills and see me in the morning. Seriously though, you really need to have a good talk to yourself (or someone else) and sort out these problems you’re having and work out exactly where you want your job to take you otherwise you’re going to burn out faster than thermite. Web Design isn’t an easy job, it’s an art and science, you can’t just say “I’ll learn everything and become and industry guru” and expect it to happen overnight. I’ve been building websites for over 12 years and I still don’t even know a fraction of what exists. It’s about knowing what field you want to go into, what kind of thing you need to-do your job and then niching your skillset to match. As it stands, you’re setting yourself up for an epic failure if you think you’ll master all things web design. :slight_smile:

Yes you can, but it’s not a good idea. Divs are so easy to use with CSS. Each time you need to place one, just post a question here if it’s not working. Bite the bullet, as it were.

Yes you can still use DIVs with the CSS inside and also use TABLEs with CSS inside.

Maybe try using a separate style-sheet.css and learn CLASSes and IDs. With TABLES especially this makes your HTML script much cleaner and far easier to update.

Become familiar with http://w3schools.com/ which is a useful reference that includes “Try it Yourself - Examples” that you can adjust the parameters.

http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_table_border-collapse

http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_table_border

I’ll second that :slight_smile:

I can understand what your going through, I’ve tried doing all that and even a 3D package at the same time. Not to mention all the other computer stuff you can do like office suites :lol:, and games and being active in communities… it can drive one to the edge of a cliff :mad:… BUT you realise from all that stuff you have to make a decision to only choose some of what you’ve mentioned to learn.

I made the decision to abandon Flash and ActionScript since the software was headed into a direction that I disliked. I decided to focus on HTML, CSS and JavaScript and then get into stuff like Perl, MySQL and PHP, and its gotten better ever since I’ve lightened the load :slight_smile:

Focus on the things you find more easier in the field. Do you think I waste my time on writing reams of JavaScript or complex PHP, yes I do the basics in those two.

However, due to security reasons, bugs and so forth I don’t strive to be some ‘Script God’.

I know when to offload specific tasks onto someone who is more skilled in a niche area as it improves productivity. Also it prevents you having “meltdowns” and makes sure the item is more robust if you chose the right person.

With CSS I use Firefox for browsing and this addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/249/

The addon basically features:

1. a red or green icon in the browser bottom right hand corner indicating success or errors

2. clicking on the icon popups a new window with three panels, source, errors and suggestions

3. It is a constant and enjoying challenge/game to strive for the green icon.

Just remember that if it was too easy then everybody could do it themselves and then we’d have no jobs :slight_smile:

Perhaps you are trying to learn too many things at once. ( I’m just getting the hang of this new fangled CSS and then they sneak css3 on me.)

Not many people are experts in all the fields you mention but most have a general working knowledge and have special skills in one area only. Don’t spread yourself too thin and don’t be afraid to outsource or ask for help.

:sing:
You got to know when to hold 'em,
know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.

Perhaps work through the w3schools tutes.

Maybe initially you just bit off a bit more than you could chew.