I hate resets... (reset problem with list)

http://mayacove.com/dev/test_ul.html

can’t get bullets to appear on this list… they only appear if I hide reset…
(always have this problem with lists with resets… )

would appreciate help/suggestions… thank you…

Just change your reset or override it with something like ul.class li {}.

Forinstance I always go with whatever is used most in whatever site. My site I’m working in now has more lists with no bullets and no margins/padding. So I remove both with my reset and then when I need it to have them I simple add class default to my ul.

Hi Maya,

yes, you’ve found one of the weak spots of resets! This is why many of us developers who DON’T use this type of reset make our own, as Eric said. We keep ours simpler and we only made those rules because we found we were repeating ourselves too much.

So your reset has
li{list-style: none;}

You added
ul.inner {border:0; list-style:circle; }

Now I also remove list-style, but not from the li. I remove it from the ul. But whatever, like Eric I usually have more lists without padding and bullets than lists with them, but when I DO want bullets, I have to do this:

ul.bullets {
  margin-left: 1em; /*I add in some bullet margin*/
}
ul.bullets li {
  [b]display: list-item;[/b]
  list-style-type: circle;
}

See, I had to explicitly add back in the display: list-item setting. This is what li’s are defaulted to (before your reset). Removing list-style seems to also set li’s from display: list-item to regular plain old “display: block” (since this is also their default). So you have to set the display: list-item back in.

Hello, good morning :slight_smile:

I do margin-left:40px as I don’t want that growing to the right. And default is actually list-style:disk;

Afternoon : )

And default is actually list-style:disk;

But Maya wanted circle.

I only mentioned the default display states of the li’s: block, and list-item.

Oh sorry - missed that - my bad. :slight_smile:

who decided all of a sudden that we need resets anyway? I think they’re really a nuisance… b/c now at a lot workplaces they make you use them… funny how some bad habits spread fast… I guess this goes for development just like it goes for so many things in life…:wink:

thank you all for yr responses… yes I hadn’t noticed that list-style:none was set in reset for both ul and li… (at work recently I altered reset b/c of a related problem and they told me noooooooo… don’t touch the reset… stupid…)

who decided all of a sudden that we need resets anyway?

Someone who uses them I guess : )

I think they’re really a nuisance…

Yes

b/c now at a lot workplaces they make you use them… funny how some bad habits spread fast…

That sucks. : ( I would probably howl in protest if my place of employment told me what kind of code I had to write (unless, of course, they were telling me to write valid, accessible, cross-browser code, lawlz).

Resets can cause all sorts of problems and make code bigger. They are best used sparingly by the developers who find them useful. But if everyone else is writing on the same project assuming there IS a reset, then yeah, you’re stuck with it.

yes I hadn’t noticed that list-style:none was set in reset for both ul and li…

The simplest setup is just to remove it from the ul, because unless you’re in Quirks mode, it will cascade down to the li just fine.
If you’re in Quirks Mode then you’d need to remove it for both… at least that’s what I remember : )

My advice – cut the unneccessary garbage that has NOTHING to do with being a “reset” out of your alleged “reset” – that’s not a reset, that’s a framework.

If you are doing more than this:

/* null margins and padding to give good cross-browser baseline */
html,body,address,blockquote,div,
form,fieldset,caption,
h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6,
hr,ul,li,ol,ul,
table,tr,td,th,p,img {
	margin:0;
	padding:0;
}

img,fieldset {
	border:none;
}

You’re wasting your time.

It’s not that resets are bad, they are really handy at getting browsers to behave consistently cross-browser. It’s just the one you are using is fat bloated unnecessary rubbish.

I wouldn’t vilify the resets. They are handy when used properly ( whether they seem bloated, general or trim). Yeah, there are ways to make them either more or less SPECIFIC, but you have to keep in mind what YOU, specifically, are trying to do in THAT SPECIFIC site.

*{ margin:0, padding:0; style: none;} is a reset.
So is ul{margin:0; padding:0; style: none;}.

The first is really broad and somewhat redundant despite its brevity; The latter is really specific. Neither, however is technically wrong. You just have to know that you will need to style (set) everything you have reset by hand.

Anyhow, the lesson here is to remember that resets are GLOBAL! If you only wanted a specific UL touched for example, don’t reset the UL tag… write a class or ID for that singular use. On the other hand if you find yourself changing the style of every UL… and feel it might be useful to start from a uniform baseline then a reset of the UL is for you.

The OP can’t. It’s insisted upon at $work.

Except removing padding from everything really sucks for form accessibility in some browsers, PLUS the fact that you can’t then later add it back in.