I just took the HTML Certification from W3schools

And I passed 64/70 and it took me 12 minutes (12 was rounded up).

So did anyone else who took it found the questions a bit random?

Which questions did you find random? I’m just curious.

W3schools in general is a little random.
For example, in the HTML quiz one of the questions is something like :

1. Choose the correct HTML tag to make a text bold

<bb>
    <b>
    <bold>
    <bld>

The same is given with italic.

Just because its W3schools doesnt mean its cutting edge and right. W3S is just another website like Lynda.com and all the others :slight_smile:

^ At least none of those choices could be ruled out intuitively, with no actual knowledge of HTML.

It could be something like:

1. Choose the correct HTML tag to make a text bold
    <orange>
    <b>
    <underline>
    <7>

:wink:

Like one question was just how does the DOC type end? (It meant self closing or whatever. I can’t remember all the questions but it was just soo…random… I know W3Schools doesn’t mean it’s the biggest or best…just a certification for when I try to get some web design jobs.

I agree with Spike - they tend to rely on people assuming they’re the same thing as the W3C - which they’re not.

You do come across stuff on there that is at best out of date.

To be honest I think an employer would be more impressed with a wide ranging portfolio.

I know. The certification is in junction with my portfolio.

I can tell you from experience that potential clients would rather see a strong portfolio and demonstrated dedication to customer service that any kind of certification.

I know that…the certification wasn’t my holding point to get clients to hire me…I never said that was the case. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion of W3Schools being really weird with the questions…

I know thats what you meant Ryan, I think you can get the general gist of what we think of w3schools and their questions.

They do quite well at covering a wide range of topics but they let themselves down by out of date content.

Great! Perhaps now you’ll remove that invalid markup from your forum signature? :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you read where that was from Cuckoo? That wasn’t me. If you read the thread I linked to in my signature you will see it from some weirdo. I thought it was quite HILARIOUS so I decided to link it.

Oh I should add that BoltZ in that thread isn’t me.

Did you read where that was from Cuckoo? That wasn’t me. If you read the thread I linked to in my signature you will see it from some weirdo. I thought it was quite HILARIOUS so I decided to link it.

Oh I should add that BoltZ in that thread isn’t me.

i found that ERMMMMM thats called PHP!!!

I’m afraid to say those are three comments which have no effect on any of us. It’s how you help people that matters on these forums, not irrelevent and somewhat immature remarks.

I hate to tell you this but the W3Schools tests and certifications aren’t worth a penny. The fact that anyone can be your supervisor tells you that.

If you have to go into an exam hall and, in the preperation, you learned much more than you thought you would, you have yourself a worthwhile certification.

Thank you for that slightly unneeded remarks.

Have YOU ever taken some exams? (Not school related).

Someone please?are the real exams for the w3schools just as easy as the test exams?or they’re tougher??? ne dumps for the papers??

Seems like a waste of $75 dollars to me.

The certificate seems to be worthless. I could create a site like that, create a certificate & site banner and sell @ $40 per ‘exam’.

Hang on a min… I’m in the wrong business!

I don’t think it’s entirely a waste, even though their information is out of date and their brand is based on a case of mistaken identity they are well recognised and pretty well respected by the community at large (the people who remember it from the good old days). It certainly won’t hurt having that under his credits but it probably won’t really help much in terms of getting employed, it’s just one of those flourishes which bulk out your resume a bit :slight_smile:

I would argue that it’s about as relevant as the CIW examination systems, that so called professional certificate still teaches frames and out of date practices, it just happens to have a wider scope of tested knowledge (and a much higher price tag to go along with it), web education is really poor. :rolleyes:

How did these people find 13 month old threads :rofl:

Thanks though :).

Oh sorry about that, I normally catch those kinds of posts, caught me off guard with that one :lol:

Either way it’s still an issue people might consider relevant :stuck_out_tongue: