I messed up big time - how to reinstall?

I messed up big time I was trying to update mysql didn’t go to well passwords all get messed up so tried to uninstall it worked to some point but was unable to reinstall it “it still detects the old version”, I also tried to update the php to the latest version thinking this maybe a factor and that messed up.

I need a tutorial on installing them all from the start php, apache, perl, mysql etc. I don’t want to use wamp or any other quick solutions as upgrading and adding extensions becomes a problem.

Anyone know of a site with a full tutorial?

My first installation was using Kevin Yank’s book (FREE Chapter 1 is on Installation). There were a few little things out of order in version 1 but I haven’t checked v4 yet. READ the chapter thoroughly then make notes and use them as a checklist.

Before that will work, however, you must UNinstall all your apps (duplicate & rename directories so you don’t lose everything) or the new install will be “tripping over” old config files.

Regards,

DK

I’ve removed everything and have gone with wamp but the old mysql service is still there and its causing problems any idea on how to remove that?

AM,

Try the WinDoze Uninstall from the Control Panel. I’ll bet MySQL is still there (more likely than not, TWO of them).

Regards,

DK

Just un-installed everything on my computer : did a full re-install of vista and tried xampp but system is timing out, I was having the same problem after trying a quick fix even thou I did not want to use a quick fix, I’m a bit stuck and behind schedule right now.

Anyone know why xampp , wamp, and easy-php are timing out?

AM,

Timing out during start? IF that’s the case, then it’d be my guess that your OS is off looking for files which were not installed (in the locations expected). IMHO, that’s yet another danger of using “canned programs.” Therefore, UNINSTALL and then use Kevin’s book as your checklist.

Regards,

DK