I need semi-dedicated web hosting to test (for) my TV streaming website

Hi guys,

Is there any good and cheap semi-dedicated web hosting to test (or for) my live TV streaming app. I’ve completed testing the app on my computer and now I want to bring it to the real world.

I don’t have much budget recently until I get an investor.

So I need to show them this on my project presentation too.

Which best web hosting for this do you suggest?

How much web hosting cost do you think to broadcast cable TV 24/7 days.

Thanks

ketting00,

While I’m a huge fan of WebHostingBuzz, I think that your requirements are for a dedicated server with (nearly) unlimited bandwidth. In other words, you’ll need to talk with someone in a data center about hosting your own rack with at least a Gb interface to the Internet.

The first thing you need to do is get a measure of the bandwidth required for a single connection then multiply that by the maximum number of visitors you can expect at any one time (for safety sake, double that). I doubt that your storage requirements will be very large (at least in comparison with your bandwidth requirements) but that’ll give you something to discuss with the data center people. I fear that you’ve already priced yourself out of the market.

Regards,

DK

Thanks DK,

Since you mentioned WebHostingBuzz, do you suggest that a VPS plan can handle the demo? I need to use it for period to lure some subscribers before I move to a dedicated server.

This is my first huge (ambitious) project, and I have absolutely no idea about dedicated server.

Do they allow third party software installed?

Budget will be my issue for a while.

Hi,

You may consider hosting on Amazon EC2 for one year free: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/#pricing (See Free Tier) These are the parameters that you get for one year; if they meet your testing needs this might be good for you:

• 750 hours of EC2 running Linux/Unix Micro instance usage
  • 750 hours of EC2 running Microsoft Windows Server Micro instance usage
  • 750 hours of Elastic Load Balancing plus 15 GB data processing
  • 30 GB of Amazon EBS Standard volume storage plus 2 million IOs and 1 GB snapshot storage
  • 15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across all AWS services
  • 1 GB of Regional Data Transfer

However as DK accurately points out, you need to calculate expected bandwidth usage before considering such a package.

Steve

For initial demonstration and low volume rollout you’d be best on a cloud/virtual hosting platform rather than dedicated, primarily to reduce commitment and cost while the required resources are low. Most dedicated server vendors require a long-term contract or a large set up fee, and you can’t rescale resources easily. Once you move beyond a low volume of customers however, virtualised solutions may not be suitable because the contention of a server port between multiple clients is not conducive to consistent performance under high load. Also, once you start consuming high volumes of bandwidth, cloud bandwidth costs become less competitive. A well developed business plan that plots customer income versus the primary business cost of hosting and bandwidth will show the future transitional point where you’d want to consider shifting from virtual/cloud servers and start buying in dedicated servers.

WHB has VPS servers with cPanel plans from 750Gb to 3Tb bandwidth. Having said that, I think Mike (EastCoast) is correct with the short term and high peak being what the cloud seems to have been developed for.

Regards,

DK