I screwed up! lost everything!

Been a frustrating last 48hours, and i’m pissed off to say the least. I had all my sites hosted at a hosting provider but i was masking my domains, i wasn’t using DNS to forward them. Anyway, i removed the masking forwarding as i belive it isn’t very good for SEO etc; and now i’m frustrated because i setup dns for one of my sites and now the site is offline, i know this stuff can take sometime but i heard only a few hours. It’s been almost 24hours since my sites have been down and all my visitors will be getting annoyed, and maybe not returning thinking the site is offline.

I really don’t know what to do because visitors will presume my site is offline and never return again, as well as people clicking backlinks etc;. DNS has been propogating for ever, and i’m so gutted, feel so powerless. I know i should of warned visitors before hand about this but i didn’t think it would take so long. I don’t usually do this type of technical stuff, i’m usually just a designer.

Managed to forward one of my domains with dns within as little as 15 minutes. Thankyou GoDaddy. Still having problems with 1and1 though. Well at least that’s one site up out of the lot

Siick,

You’re lucky! For years, members have been panning the horrible service from both GoDaddy (good reputation as a registrar, though) and 1&1. IMHO, look for a host with a good reputation (like WebHostingBuzz.co.uk if your target audience is in the UK, too).

No, I am not WHB nor do I work for WHB. I simply maintain three accounts with them because of their outstanding services (support and keeping daemons up to date) and very reasonable prices (shared, specialized hosting - Joomla - and dedicated) using modern equipment with the best connectivity.

Regards,

DK

i know this stuff can take sometime but i heard only a few hours

I use namecheap for buying domains and DNS changes is a matter of 2-3 minutes.

Pamela,

That’s the effect of your host updating it’s DNS records VERY frequently. Most hosts probably update on an hourly basis but, with the “guarantee” of 72 hours frequently quoted, I assume that they’re only required to update every three days. In other words, you have a good host but don’t rely on anything less than 72 hours for propagation throughout the Internet.

Regards,

DK

It’s been almost 24hours since my sites have been down

Usually up to 48 hours. Then - connect to the hosting. No worries.

all my visitors will be getting annoyed, and maybe not returning thinking the site is offline.

If I like a site, I’ll come back again. If I forgot to come back again. Soon I’ll see the site again in Google SERP or somewhere else(social networks, forums, etc.) :slight_smile: