I wanna be a professionall webdesigner but wanna know some things

Hello everyone here on sitepoint!

I wanna be a professionall wedesigner and I can start by saying that I have some experience, not long but some in dreamweaver and photoshop.
I know some PHP and CSS but that’s it. So basically I use dreamweaver connected to FileZilla wich is applying it to my website.

When I drag my website folder with all my contents into FileZilla I also have to drag all my either .php or .html files into the root folder in Filezilla.
So when I’m creating a new page in my dreamweaver, it comes up in FileZilla but i have to drag it over to the root folder, is there any way to get it directly to there so when i apply it from dreamweaver it comes to root folder and after on my website directly. (The root name in filezilla is “/”)

So let’s move on to another question and I hope you can answer the first one. Let’s say I wanna be able to update pictures and text without opening dreamweaver. What should I use for program? (Maybe wordpress?)

And to the last question. Lets say I have a pagination (jQuery) for my news on the index. How does it work, I’m totally lost, do I have to open it up and write news in dreamweaver and it automatically like moves the old new into page 2…? I have no idea.

Hope someone can help me. :slight_smile:

There’s no point in using Filezilla if you have Dreamweaver, as Dw can do all the uploading for you, and it keeps all files in their rightful place without you having to do anything except upload.

Let’s say I wanna be able to update pictures and text without opening dreamweaver. What should I use for program? (Maybe wordpress?)

Yes, WordPress or any CMS (content management system). There are lots and lots out there, so make sure to choose the right one. :slight_smile:

Lets say I have a pagination (jQuery) for my news on the index. How does it work, I’m totally lost, do I have to open it up and write news in dreamweaver and it automatically like moves the old new into page 2…? I have no idea.

Most CMSes have paginination built in as an automatic feature, so if using a CMS, you won’t have to worry about how this works. Most CMSes are powered by PHP.

Whoop, Awesome, I didn’t knew that was possible.

But to use for example pagination you have to use any CMS program right?

Would this guide of yours be the best to follow?

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/ddws/

Well, that certainly is a road to follow if you are up for a challenge. There’s a book that goes with that article. I am working through that book now, but building your own CMS is a lot more work that using one that’s off the shelf—and which is likely to have lots more features and functionality than you can expect to create for yourself (at least in the short term). (It’s kind of like deciding to build your own car instead of buying one ready made. A few people can do it, but it’s a labor of love and not very efficient timewise.)

Many CMSes include the facility for pagination, so at most it takes a few minutes to set up. You can do it manually/statically with HTML, of course, but it’s a bit of a clunky way to go these days, as it’s a lot of work to maintain/update a setup like this.

Oh, I see. I get the idea of it now and i guess Ill start and try to become better in HTML and CSS and after that I’ve build a good website I’ll get wordpress and Ill learn some PHP and Javascript. Would that be a good idea to be good at CSS and HTML first wich is basically the best thing to know?

I don’t agree. I’ve been using both for years because Filezilla is much faster than DW’s built in FTP client. Setting up ‘sites’ in DW is also a pain in the ass, Filezilla is much better and it’s free.

But isnt it annoying if u ad a page to ur site and you have to drag the page into the root folder in FileZilla all the time or is there any way so the page comes into the root folder itself in FileZilla?

I find that Filezilla and its ilk (Transmit for Mac, for example) are a bit dumb about where they place files, unless I’ve missed something fundamental. If you have a bunch of files in various folders, they seem to get confused over where to place them, whereas Dw has no problem. However, I admit that Dw is a lot slower, and I don’t use it much any more.

Also, it takes me only a few seconds to set up a site in Dw.

Is really javascript that necessery since you can copy most of the work, I mean jquery has it all.

I don’t understand your question.

I mean that javascript is used to setup for example pagination and that would be pretty pointless to learn JAVASCRIPT except if you are pro on HTML and CSS.

So I couldnt care less about javascript these days since I’m average on HTML and CSS.

You will probably find—like I have—that you will get very few website requests that don’t involve something fancy. That seems to be the way it’s going. So jQuery can be very handy, as it allows you to add fancy stuff without having to know much (or anything) about JavaScript. JS is not as reliable as something like PHP, though, so I prefer not to have functionality (or at least content) that relies on it. (If pagination links are only served up by JS, will people be able to access some content if pagination is off?)

I’m not sure what you mean by that.

Because JavaScript depends on the end user’s browser to run, it’s not as reliable as something like PHP, which sends the finished code to all browsers. Users can turn off JavaScript; some have browsers that don’t support it properly; some are blind and use screen readers that may not understand what the JS is trying to do. Some people use JS in such a way that, if JS does not work properly for the end user, the content is not accessible at all, which is a bit of a disaster. So it needs to be used with care. I would think that pagination controlled by JS is likely to suffer from that in some way—and even if not, is more likely to fail in some devices more easily that if the pagination is controlled on the server by PHP.

Thanks for the great explanation, I get it :slight_smile:

I come up with different small questions sometimes, for example now. if someone could answer this. I’ve made an unorderd list with listed items and display:inline. How would I add space between the words.

Should i make a new thread for small questions like that or just keep asking in a thread thats active like this?

I’ve made an unorderd list with listed items and display:inline. How would I add space between the words.

You could give them left or right padding, but my suggestion would be to use float: left or display: inline-block instead of display: inline. I’ve never liked display: inline for this job.

Either is OK. :slight_smile:

Great :smiley: I used float:left and display: inline-block, but whats the difference between display:inline and display:inline block and float:left at the same time. I feel like I’m asking questions all the time -.-.

You should only really use one or the other, as they won’t all apply at once. inline-block allows the element to sit inline (next to other elements) without it losing the qualities of being a block element (padding/margins etc still work as expected).