I want to create a simple interactive game for my website. Need advice on direction

Hi all,
I have a client that wants us to develop a simple web game for posting on their website. The client wants us to create a game where you have to try to match a photo with a foreign language word. Or, try to match the military rank with the text. Something simple like that.

What programming language do you all recommend we learn to create these simple games? HTML5? Jquery? Flash? Are there many demo scripts available for one of these languages that we can customize and use on our website without having to re-invent the wheel?

Thanks for any pointers you can provide!

I have seen numerous FLASH script for Question-and-Answer type quizzes.
Using HTML and CSS you could easily set up a “Column A” match with Column B" type of challenge. I imagine HTML radiobuttons for the user to make a choice.

Above all it should be interesting and should relate DIRECTLY to the client’s business. You mentioned military rank. Does that relate to their business?
In my experience WORD GAMES are very popular.

Hi Parkin,
Yes, military ranks relates to their “business”. So, you are saying that HTML/CSS with perhaps Javascript is the best way to go for this?

I think only you can determine THE BEST way to approach this. If you are familiar with FLASH it would be pretty easy to put together something.
On the other hand, HTML/CSS and Javascript are far more familiar for most of us (I used to do a lot of FLASH stuff but haven’t needed to touch it in a few years - so I am behind). It really depends upon
Your comfort level and area of expertise
-OR-
The availability of someone with the right skills whom you can hire (if that is your chosen approach)

I know XHTML and have an intermediate level of CSS knowledge, but no javascript skills.

Then you may want to look for someone to hire. The job seems pretty simple so finding someone at a reasonable price shouldn’t be too hard.

I agree with TheRaptor: if you don’t have the experience, it’s probably best to hire someone then to have something that’s buggy.

As for what you should use, it depends also on what you think your end-users will be using. If they’re mostly typical PC users, then Flash would be good. If they’re likely to use iPads, then Flash is no good, so you should stick with HTML/CSS/Javascript.

I guess it depends on the type of game you are looking for…you can go from a simple posting game, like guess the place, to simple HTML5 games which you can embed, and I know that sites like kongregate offer a lot of Flash games for free for you to embed, some of them even offering ladder systems…

just play arround :wink:

I do imagine he has quit looking since he hasn’t returned to this thread since last December.

Thread Closed