Ideas For SitePoint Books

Website advertising. What all the terminology means and step-by-step instructions on how to set up advertising on a basic website, and common blog and CMS platforms.

The most I usually see on this topic is watered down to “just put ads on your site” or “just sign up for google adsense” without much explanation beyond that (ie, what makes adwords good/bad to use? What makes other ad networks good/bad to use?)

I’m not sure if it would make a good book topic or not because it would be so specific and possibly time sensitive if you’re comparing services, so it might be more appropriate for an article/blog post.

Some great ideas - thanks all. I’ll be taking them to our brainstorming session.

If Kevin, Cameron Adams or Paul O B writes it I’ll buy it.

I have a title for one already:

“Your digital invested powers - abusing them means you don’t have them”

Recently, I’ve seen a niche for a digital boom era info-social book. Lately, a social digital awareness movement can be observed outlining the changes in our digital connected society looking at the way we communicate.

A book to prepare forum staff, for example. Administrator, moderators, on how to handle the power they receive. I’ve seen cases where this power can be too much for some.

True story. There was another forum I frequented. And there were some established users there making the forum successful. A moderator asked something in a forum, DEMANDING.

One of the more knowledgeable established users told him it’s just not possible. That green mod simply didn’t understand, it didn’t had the proper training for it, so he took the advice as a personal offense. He started grilling the particular established user, using abject language and behavior and abusing his power to ultimately ban the user that didn’t comply with his absurd wish.

The administrator of the forum didn’t took any action against the mod’s bad behavior, even more, supported this behavior.

That lead to a chain reaction among a number of highly contributing users to leave the forum, of course, all being banned for expressing their support for the user that told the mod that, by just being a mod, that’s not grounds in real life to get anything he wishes. But his behavior lead to the death of a forum.

Putting the lid on situations occurring in your forum doesn’t mean you solve them, it means you just hide them.

TRUE STORY!

For those interested, I can PM the link for that forum, where the whole discussion is still there to be read. :slight_smile:

It’s odd that the only eCommerce sections in books have been occupied by either a PHP & MySQL eCommerce system or implementing an open-source solution. How about a book dedicated to both the theoretical and practical side of eCommerce Website Design, Development, and Production? It could also go into detail into say, OSCommerce, Magento, and something else.

If Kevin Yank, Tommy Olsson, or Paul O’Brien writes ANY book in the future I’ll buy it. :wink:

And lastly a couple of my own ideas:

Canvas / SVG Web Graphics Design and Development

Web Browser Game Development [HTML 5, CSS 3, JS, and whatever appropriate technologies, etc.]

I’ve tried searching for the last time you did a thread similar to this one because I’m sure I made some suggestions back then…Oh wait!

The Ultimate HTML Reference, 2nd Edition

The Ultimate CSS Reference, 2nd Edition

The Photoshop Anthology, 2nd Edition

See what they say about them suggestions / ideas :slight_smile: If it helps, my #1 would be the eCommerce book.

Andrew Cooper

So if I write a book you wouldn’t buy it? I’m sooo disappointed now :stuck_out_tongue:

So good that I’m not writing any, eh’ :stuck_out_tongue:

How does one become a SitePoint author? I’ve wanted to write a book for a long time, but not sure how to get published. Does SitePoint publish books from community members?

Do you have proof you can write and have experience in that field? I sure wouldn’t hire you if you said you we’re good, but can’t back it up.

How about book about books?

There are zillion technology books already written but it’s hard to know what are the popular technology and what books are recommended.

So, I propose a book like “Road to being a Java Enterprise Programmer”
Chapter 1. Java - do a simple hello world sample and point to recommended books
Chapter 2. Servlets & JSP - do a simple sample and point to recommended books

Another book can be called “Road to being a Web Designer”. At least this would be the kind of stuff I would read. Mostly to find out other popular technology I’ve missed.

Go to the bottom of this page

Write For Us

Really? You wont except .NET articles? Way to squash the .NET developers on the SP Forums. Yes, their are some of us. This is my favorite Forum, but your guys bias is showing full force…

I would assume that submitting a book for review would be proof enough of one’s ability to write a book. :wink:

And I assume, as with any first-time author’s work, its quality would have to speak for itself!

As for my expertise, I would be a fool to write a book in a field in which I have no experience, right? :wink:

And while my CV doesn’t read like Bill Gates’, I think it’ll do. :smiley:

Molona, thanks for the link… I’ll check it out!

Where did you find that they don’t accept .NET articles? The list on that page only states what kind of articles they are currently looking for, it does not say that they won’t accept anything else. To be more specific, that page also states:

If you’ve got an idea for an article or a book we’d love to hear from you!

Enlighten me, how many .NET articles have you seen lately? Or, how many employees are hired for .NET article writing? I know SP has had a .NET Guru in the past, then he just vanished, and never heard from again. As I said, I like SP, for the Forums only, and not the articles, which sucks, because it eliminates a group of people, you could also target.

Anyways, thanks for your time.

You mean Wyatt? wwb_99? Who’s viewing the .net forum as I write this?

He stepped down from staff because he got very busy with real life. But he’s here, and he’s active.

If you’ve got ideas for .net articles, then please, by all means submit them. I’m guessing they’d jump at getting someone with interest writing articles for that topic.

I echo USPaperchaser’s comments in that the .NET community could be better served on this website, although .NET tends to have some seriously strong communities within Microsoft’s online communities and on sites like Stack Overflow.

Like many others on here I would firmly put myself in the “would love to write stuff, but don’t know enough or have enough experience” section. Nevertheless, I may look into submitting an article or two now and again when something comes up at work that would be worth more people knowing.

SP Admins, if I write a couple of .NET articles, and you approve the quality, would you post them on the website? Hell, I would do this for free. I think PHP developers should know their is an alternative to their chosen language, and why .NET is superior and offers more features then what they are using now.

You have nothing to lose, but .NET developers to gain. I tell you what, I will market SP’s .NET content for free to other websites, to get the word out.

Just give me the green-light.

The forum has nothing to do with SP or whoever looks after the articles but I am sure that they will publish them if they are of good quality.

Although you may think we do, we don’t favour PHP in detriment of .NET. Some people like PHP better and .NET, some like .NET better than PHP. But many .NET lovers prefer to hang out in Microsoft’s related forums. And it is natural, they have more info there and that info is of higher quality.

We are lucky enough to have Wyatt but he has a live too, you know. :slight_smile:

Yeah, whatever makes you feel better, since you are an “advisor”. I don’t come to SP just for the .NET forum, but for all of the topics related to web design/development. So, do you suggest all members leave, and go to an industry-specific website? Such as .NET pandering websites? I just wish SP would be open-minded to all people, and not just a sub-set. And yes, SitePoint does favor PHP…

That’s not what I meant. There are members that use SPF but visit a specific .NET site to get .NET information because those forums are more active and have more information about .NET.

Regarding SP favoring PHP… I don’t know if the HQ do. As I say, the forums are completely separate of SP. Our only relationship is our administrator who does work for HQ but we have never been told what to do. They don’t interfere.

As staff members, we like all area of the forums to be highly active, filled with terrific debates and learning stuff. As a staff, .NET is as important as PHP or any other area of the forums such as Javascript, Flash, Facebook or, maybe in the future Adobe Air.

Now, in a personal note, of course we can have our personal preferences!

But the forum itself does not favor any area. It is the people who shows more interest in one area and makes the forum active.

I hope that this time is more clear.

Yet, if you want to discuss this further, we better do it in another thread. I’ve been drifting a bit too much from the goal of this thread which is getting new ideas for SP books :smiley: