IDEs: Dreamweaver vs Aptana vs Netbeans

Hi my main work consists of developing WordPress-based sites, so my coding focuses around PHP + HTML + CSS + JQuery. I currently use Dreamweaver as my IDE, are Aptana or Netbeans more suited for the job? Or any other editor? I’d like to hear some opinions from more experienced developers doing mostly the same work I am doing. Thanks

I currently use Netbeans at home and Komodo edit at work. I think I prefer Komodo.

My work is mostly Wordpress focused as well.

My work is not WordPress focused (thank god). I use Eclipse at work and Zend Studio at home. I avoid Dreamweaver and people who use it like the plague. That said Dreamweaver is more so a design program than an IDE.

Dreamweaver CS5 is pretty decent for PHP coding. I usually stick in the code view mode and the color coding, code completion, code reference, and error checking has been helpful for me in the past.

There still is that stigma that Dreamweaver is “just a design program” but it has really matured in the later versions and you can use it without touching the design mode if you want.

I’d have to agree with TegSkywalker, Dreamweaver has worked fine for me till now, I’m just wondering whether there is something even better, but I don’t have any particular gripes with DW. Definitely not something to avoid like the plague.

I think I’m going to settle on Netbeans, the function definitions on the fly are really cool.

you can also give http://www.aptana.com/ a look

Hey oddz, it’s not 2003 any more and Dreamweaver can be used to produce good markup and good sites. Also PHP4 has been released, and JavaScript can do more than popup windows now too :slight_smile:

How is that a change? From as far back as I can remember that was possible. The program has always had a text editor, its nothing new.

Quite true, but that is when you never use design mode. Most people who “say” they don’t use design mode do to some capacity. Regardless of what they say mark-up, Dreamweaver JS functions and CSS selector naming conventions don’t lie.

Once you feel comfartable to move away from an IDE, things like a quick upload bar on the right become more userful than the tools in Zend Studio or equivalent, depending on your envirnment IMO

What do you mean, in Zend Studio you can work right off the server.

Eclipse PDT is awesome and 100% free. Code hints an errors are always helpful and accurate. With Remote System Explorer you can work with files right on the server with no FTP program.

Also Zend Studio is actually built on top of Eclipse, so if you ever decide to go that route at least you’ll already be familiar with Eclipse. Zend Studio is pricey though and you’ll probably be fine with just Eclipse.

And you cant work right off the server in Notepad? Like I said, depending on your work environment. I personally have my own test server locally and then upload to my live server frequently for multiple sites.

I just slightly prefer Dreamweavers editing layout slightly more than Zend Studio and the side bar with a very nice FTP tree is more benefecial to me than integration with Zend Server which I don’t even use at the momoent.

Eclipse if your a serious PHP developer. :slight_smile:

I consider myself a serious PHP developer. I’ve also been using Zend Framework for the last 2 years, the last 6 months heavily.

It’s always about personal preference. Eclipse / Zend Studio and other PHP IDEs will always have more features for a developer over something like Dreamweaver. For me at the moment none of those features weigh more than a convenient ftp client built in.

If I run into a larger project that will take longer before being able to go live to make small updates, then for me Zend Studio would be my choice.

I concur with the notion of Dreamweaver being a good choice as long as you’re using CS5. The code editor has been rebuilt with PHP specifically in mind. Code hinting, auto-completion, built in documentation for functions, and a host of other code-specific features make it a contender.

Add to that the convenience of the FTP client and the “live code” feature for debugging javascript and you have a very compelling environment in which to build your applications.