IE6 completely dead come Janurary

Microsoft is forcing updates in Jan. http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57343270-12/microsoft-to-ie6-dead-browser-walking/?tag=cnetiosapp

Finally…

FINALLY!!! OMG I HATE IE6.

They are still allowing people to opt out though so it will not get rid of everyone still using IE6 and 7 - but it should hopefully reduce usage of both those browsers to a very low level (at least in those countries where Windows XP and later are being run).

Very glad to hear this. I’ve disliked both browsers for so long… IE overall, really.

But I’m glad they’re finally forcing updates (which most people will because if their computer say update they generally do) and it will no long be a factor in commercial designing/coding to include IE 6/7 because you can show it’s even opted against by Microsoft. About time ^^

Before we all start celebrating, take a closer look at the article that Eric referenced. Despite what it says, Microsoft will not - and cannot - “force” people to upgrade from IE6. It can only serve a new version to those users who have automatic updates enabled, and then only if the user doesn’t opt out of it. I’ve never seen any figures for this, but my guess is that a substantial number of people in the world don’t use automatic updates.

Personally, I’ll still be checking my sites for IE6 compatibility for a long time yet - much as I hate to have to do so.

Mike

I wonder, they’re going to update through Automatic Updates… I’d think that those people still on IE6 have disabled Automatic Updates anyway?

Yes, that’s exactly the point I was trying to make.

In fact, I’d say it’s not so much a matter of them disabling it, but never having enabled it in the first place. Chances are they have old PCs with old versions of Windows that didn’t do automatic updates by default. I’ll bet there are hundreds of thousands of users like that around the world.

Mike

Also, it will initially only affect users in Brazil and Australia. So, to say IE6 will be “completely dead in January” is not at all the case.

Mike

That’s true… that’s something I got overly excited and overlooked…

True, didn’t even think about that. IE is just such a pain in the butt. I have almost given up on trying to make sites work in IE6, Takes too much time up almost and when I look at statistics for sites I build usually I only see about 5% or less actually on IE6. Unless the clients demands it I try to avoid it.

True, but what’s nice is that they are setting a precedent. It’s revealing that they are beginning to change their attitude, possibly because they have been feeling the heat from Chrome. This is the first step on the yellow brick road.

With IE looking to end up as only the third most popular browser before very long they have to do something to try to get things back together if they want their browser to survive.

Exactly, and the only way to do that is to make sure people are aware of all the things they are bringing to to the browser offering plate. If they allow 10 years transition time to new browsers, people will yawn and stretch, and maybe find themselves watching a Google Chrome commercial with the cute birdy and think “hmmmmm…”