IE6 Flicker on Top Menu

Hi

Please take a look at:

In IE6, if you hover over the top menu there’s a bad flicker as it constantly tries to reload the images of both the parent and child menus.

Any ideas? :slight_smile:

Hi,

take a look here. It has some solutions, including a nifty css solution.

Hope this helps

Hi, to keep it from loading the background images upon hover, you can load them via JS :).

Hi guys

I’ve tried a number of fixes including those you’ve posted above, but IE still has a problem in trying to reload the image every time. For example, my images are double buffered (as suggested in the link above) and they work normally, however there seems to be an issue with subnav.js which is used in part to make the dropdown work in IE6.

Does this look more like a JS issue?

Ta.

Hi,

Since it’s a css background image related problem you can avoid that all together by using js. Or configure the server so the images stay cached for a period (30, 40… days).

Mine does not flicker. http://www.visibilityinherit.com/code/sprites.php hope it helps.

Hi Eric, i wanted to point the OP to a sprites solution because it’s a preload problem and using sprites would prevent that, however i was not sure if it was a viable solution for him since he uses dropdowns. But if it can be done and he wants to go the css way instead of JS, sprites would be the way to go :slight_smile:

I imagine it would work with the drop down. Sprites still flicker in ie6. When there is a background position change, it causes ie6 to reload the image. There is a fix for that in my link though.

Yeah, i’m familiar with your solution. In the link i posted there’s a solution that uses sprites, combined with the double buffer method so you also get the, or should get, the desired result. But the css could be a bit bloated i guess when using drop downs :wink: