IE6 Is killing me slowly!

I’ve just noticed that the text in the footer is slightly cut off in IE6… do I have to give the footer a specified height?

The blue line that appears below the navigation is also missing since I gave it a line-height as mentioned above?

The right column has dropped for 2 reasons.

There’s the double margin float bug on the right column and then on the left column you haven’t got rid of the default margin on the ul.

Here are the fixes.

#left-col ul {
    list-style: none;
    width: 220px;
    float:left;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-top:0;
 [B]   margin:0;[/B]
}
#right-bar {display:inline;}/*fixes double margin bug on floats*/

Hi,

I’ve just checked the top navigation again in IE6 and the hover state of the buttons are showing and top nav is broken.

I’ve also found that when I go to a different page (content page) if you start to scroll down the site freezes and then crashes…

Can anyone replicate this and see if it happens their side?

Any help would be great

Thanks

you are right that it’s premature to “respect” drafts in code, however shiny they present them self.

but extending endless support for ie5.5, ie6 defeats even the html 4.01 purpose :slight_smile:

i’m sure that from some point on the efforts can be better used in promoting newer techniques instead of supporting old flaws.

i’m not as good as ie5.5 or ie6 are “permitting” me to be with my coding. i’m not coding for the exceptions as a rule, but i’m coding separate rules for the exceptions, that’s all.

and a productivity tool is just that: a productivity tool. wysiwyg can be a productivity tool. i just haven’t find yet that right tool for html/css, that gives you more than some “water in the wine”: auto -complete, auto -tags, auto -whatever.

a tool really useful like the ones i remember when i started the use of new desktop IDEs instead of keep going over and over the same hand coding for the interface i did in pascal or foxpro or clipper for dos. took me a while to stop with the old way of coding all objects from instance to behaviour by hand and start using the ide as a productivity tool.

and i still remember the biggest gain was that i never had to wonder if i’ve misspelled some properties or methods when i was looking for a bug, or scroll through endless lines of code to change something in the interface. not only some wysiwyg apps give productivity a bad name but also the abuse some do using such tools. the lack of knowledge is something no ide or wysiwyg or productivity tool can compensate for.

One of my sites still sees 20%+ IE6 use… almost as much as it sees from IE8. Admittedly, that’s the same site where Safari shows 1% and Opera 10%, so it’s numbers are all screwy, but that kinda proves the point of so called numbers… You can’t trust them. Whenever I see low number reports on Opera, I always have to ask… Is that because your page doesn’t work right in it in the first place, or because you have some garbage scripting or faulty browser sniffing making Opera users use “mask as firefox” to make your **** work? (It’s entirely possible around 5-10% of FF’s users stats are actually Opera users, and another 40% or so is prefetch artificially inflating the numbers!)

The point I’d make about it is you can make a lean fast site with little to no extra effort that works fine all the way back to IE5.5, so why not do it? Just sleazing crap out any old way? Too lazy to bother learning how to code properly? I know, think that there’s nothing wrong with using a WYSIWYG to make the layout?

“oh it’s too hard to support”

1. BULLCOOKIES.
  2. That’s why it’s called WORK and not “Happy Happy Funtime” you lazy lackadaisical loafing unindustrious apathetic foyl beybek laggard marmots! :smiley:

To be brutally frank, the ‘problems’ people have supporting IE usually stem from broken methodologies and this “code for FF hack for everything else” mentality, instead of using MODERN coding techniques with separation of presentation from content and testing every layout element as you code it in the CSS. (the lion’s share of the markup should be completed before you even THINK about writing the layout using CSS)

That simple change in philosophy can help avoid all those headaches in the first place…

Either that or you can chalk it up to dumb-asses trying to deploy specifications not even out of draft on production websites or bloating out the page with “gee ain’t it neat” javascripted and/or flash bull that does nothing but be more hindrance than help to the visitors.

Caching helps – on subsequent loads, but you still have to keep firstload in mind. This is where your minification actually does something, this is where my using a reset to reduce code helps, and it’s where minimalist semantic markup with separation of presentation from content helps by moving as much out of the markup and into the CSS as possible. Much less advanced techniques like handshake reduction through image recombination and not going nuts with the “use ten javascripts to do CSS’ job and ten separate stylesheets without even a media type present” that it often seems other developers have a raging chodo for.

Never forget the chance to make a first impression. If the page takes more than 10 seconds to load on first visit on a broadband connect, you’ve blown it.

It’s a balancing act, picking and choosing the optimizations that deliver on their promises in a meaningful manner.

Though with the reset, again caching is just a nice side effect and not the real reason to do it – cross browser support and easier development are more important and the real reason for it’s use.

Again, it’s part of HOW I make pages that work all the way back to IE 5.5 (and sometimes even 5.01) with little or no extra effort. I spent more time on writing the explanation of the CSS above than I did writing the CSS thanks to the techniques I advocate for development. Said pages maintain lean code to content ratios even with the formatting and comments left in that usually beat other people’s stuff in terms of leveraging the caching models and on bandwidth/handshakes.

ok :slight_smile:

first thing: no word on caching :slight_smile:

a bigger reset would be cached? would a little reset be cached also? would jQuery be cached? i don’t address the opportunity of their use. but the reason for not using them, that are big in regards to the actual content, is it still valid if caching comes along?

second thought: you count every bit of char: “My original is 7.4k with the reset in it… remove the reset […]”.

i do too. that’s why i don’t let comments in my production code. that’s why i cut down the names for classes and ids in my production code. that’s why i minify. i do this using a method not yet perfected. but is a need and a natural step for html, css.

js already has this, name shortening. ScallioXTX said that it makes perfect sense for js because of the names for functions and variables. i say it also makes perfect sense for html and css with their long “for readability” class and id names. yes, you don’t gain much on whitespace. but you do after name shortening. using your own above calculations :slight_smile:

if the outcome after these steps is different in function, you don’t blame the “compile” concept. in one of those steps something went wrong. find it and fix it.

if you lose the easy readable and understandable source code that’s because you are incompetent. if the client doesn’t have it, he has to pay for its own mistakes. or force the source code out of the original developer, based on the contract they had, if possible.

a third and somewhat unrelated thought: internet is also compiled. there are web related technologies (even PHP) where you have bytecode, which is more then uncompiled simple text.

first, let me state what i’ve stated before: you are a man to learn from. that is to say i’m giving you the full respect you deserve for your knowledge.

all my commenting is not to be taken as an attempt to paint your knowledge in a different colour. i’m only expressing my opinion.

i don’t express it in an absolute manner, but i’m prepared to show support for it. prove me wrong and i’ll accept it and thank you for teaching me something. and you are one person i’ve said thanks to :slight_smile:

is this applying to all of us or just the OP? :slight_smile: well, i’m gonna do it anyway. hope you don’t mind.

leaving the need for a reset aside, is this not you contradicting you a little bit? ok, your reset may be 0.0002k. there are bigger resets and there are smaller resets.

what about the cache? whether you cache 0.0002k or 2k, you still are saving and you still have 0.0002k or 2k before you start your own.

how big or small the reset you’re using is may depend upon requirements or personal preferences. the same goes about js.

also, you gave me a hard time in this thread, but you show different options here: