IE7 help?

Ok, so as stated this is to do with a bug in IE7. I am working on a drop-down menu for a client and it works quite well; it uses js animation combined with "visibility:hidden/visible to get the desired effect. While doing crossbrowser tests and bugfixing i noticed (while using IE7) that the table borders (excluding existing content) below my 3rd dropdown are visible on page load and I just cannot find a way to stop this without using “display:block” (which basically permanently blocks the whole table and content from what I can understand). “Visibility:hidden” does nothing, not even if I put the table into a div, assign it an id and use js’s “getelementbyid” to apply the style. :nono: First person to help this junior gets 10 brownie points! :wink:

Hello :).

We can do nothing to help without some code. It could be a variety of issues. Please give us the link to the page where this issue is happening :). You should be avoiding Javascript (and the visibility way of hiding/showing) the dropdown. 99% probable that it isn’t causing your issues, but it’s good practice to avoid those ways :slight_smile:

Hi RobRoi and welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

I can’t earn the Brownie points by solving your problem. As Ryan said, it’s always best to provide a link to a live page, if you can, or failing that, show us your code.

However, if I’ve read your post correctly, I think you’re confused about what display:block does.

“display:block” (which basically permanently blocks the whole table and content from what I can understand)
It doesn’t block anything from display; rather, it makes an element display as a block element rather than an inline element. For more information, see the SitePoint CSS Reference, which explains it much better than I could. :slight_smile: (If that’s what you actually meant and I’m teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, then I apologise. :))

Thanks plenty for replying guys, I think I may have neglected to mention that I am a noobie to web developing as well :wink: . But I’ve somehow managed to sort it out (not sure how) but it’s fine now. I’m working on another project for a client and am incredibly stumped, could really use some help. Shall I create a new thread or continue here?

Create a new thread, as it is a separate issue :). We will be there to help in your new thread.