IE9 ul li problems

how come in IE9, the bullet points on this homepage appear over the product pictures, but not in any other browsers?

please advise. thanks in advance.

I believe this is just where the browser has determined where to place the bullets. There is no specific definition of where the bullets should be placed in relation to the text. You specify the position of the list should be “outside”. IE9 is just interpreting that to be as far outside as opssible.

Since the image is floated and the <ul> is not, it’s actually overlapping (width wise) over the image. If you specify the position to be “inside” instead, it will work :).

#content ul{list-style-position:inside;}

You’d also benefit from just forcing a left margin on the lists so they don’t slide underneath the floated images anyways.

Give your lists an ugly background colour and you’ll see what I mean.

If he did that I’d be willing to bet he wouldn’t even need bother with my above fix. So on that note, assuming it works, just go with this solution OP :).

Well, said margin can be a problem if the list is longer than the float and the OP wants it to wrap, but I had similar bullet issues on the fire dept site I styled and it was the same thing. I ended up using a margin but it didn’t look so great there either. Of course IE then was 6 and 7 so Haslayout mattered too (in that case the list doesn’t slide behind the float so the margin looks retarded)…

I think OP can get away with using “inside” here with better results, so OP can try either solution.

My issue with inside positioning is when you have single words instead of long sentences… the bullets stop lining up if the left side isn’t always aligned.

i tried stomme’s suggestion about the left margin and it worked. thanks!