If someone asked you to build an ecommerce solution, which software would you use?

Not necessary looking for the best, just wondering what YOU would use to build a webshop. And why would you use that particular one?

then definitely i will go for Bigcommerce, Volusion or Shopify, they are not only known name in market, but you are very much sure that there wont be any server outage, your store is up, perfect shopping cart, regular version update, quick support and more importantly you can use most of marketing tools very easily like uploading items in Google Shopping.

I would understand user requirements first and then suggest the right solution based on budget and requirement. I prefer custom eCommerce solution compare to open source

I’ll choose Magento, ZenCart or os Commerce for their user-friendly feature.

i recommend open cart

it is totally based on user requirements and budget but i would like to magento platform for this.

[FONT=Verdana]Please note, the question also included

And why would you use that particular one?
Any more replies that simply name a product without explaining why will be removed as fluff.[/FONT]

I jut answered this (and why) in this forum thread.

We work in the web hosting industry, and we use WHMCS because of the vast array of features it offers us. It also simplifies the management of your clients and their products.

Magento, you can do everything with it. If there is no built in feature that you would like to use, you can create it (magento is open-source). It has so huge list of features built in that I’m not going to list all of them here. But one very important is SEO. Magento is SEO friendly. If you’ll use Yoast landing pages with it (free add on) and learn how to use it, you can build 100s of landing pages within a very short time. No need for creating additional categories or anything. You just create a simple page, put some code and conditions in CMS and you can display all products form one manufaacturer in clolor black, or with price like up to £4 etc. Possibilities are endless. Magento is good for a very small store as well as for a very big shop. The only problem with magento is that it takes time to learn it.

It would vary greatly depending on the site and requirements, but the following solutions would be considered:

• Magento Go and Magento Enterprise
  • CoreCommerce
  • PinnacleCart
  • BigCommerce
  • Shopify
  • CS Cart

And there are a few I would never consider…

• OS Commerce (old, outdated, poorly coded, insecure)
  • Volusion (very bad reviews regarding downtime and customer service)
  • Any system written in PHP 4 or classic ASP
  • Most “community” or open source packages without commercial support options

Test them out to find the one you feel comfortable with, almost all of them offer free demos.

I used BIGco0mmerce for nearly 2 years. Go with it.

Of Course, Magento.
It is built on open-source technology, which is really feasible for users. It comes SEO friendly, facilitates easy navigation, helps manage multiple stores with ease, integrated with Google Analytics, Google Base and Google Checkout which helps manage ROI, includes varied payment options via. PayPal Express, Standard and Website Payments Pro, it is built-in with live currency updates, best admin interface, and moreover free to download for anyone who wishes to upgrade their site.

I would prefer an open source e-commerce platform over paid ones. There are plenty of opensource options such as Magento, Zen Cart, osCommerce…

Most of the systems available today were mentioned above but before you decide make sure you have a good plan. Understanding the project scope is important as well as short/long term plans. Magento is one of the best, but it requires a lots of attention.