I'm confused and could use some help

I need some help, kind of need some guidance. I have a form with a simple text box with a button next to it, when I enter a customer code such as 6 digits and click retrieve. When I click the button, the database retrieves the record based on the customer ID and populates the rest of the form, I just need a starter, just a text box to enter the code, another empty text box that makes a name appear once the correct client ID is entered.

The DB Schema

CREATE TABLE `client` (
  `id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `clientID` mediumint default NULL,
  `FirstName` varchar(255) default NULL,
  `LastName` varchar(255) default NULL,
  `Address` varchar(255) default NULL,
  `City` varchar(255),
  `State` varchar(50) default NULL,
  `ZipCode` varchar(10) default NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (`id`)
) AUTO_INCREMENT=1;

INSERT INTO `client` (`clientID`,`FirstName`,`LastName`,`Address`,`City`,`State`,`ZipCode`) VALUES (730776,"Maxwell","Watson","Ap #440-3947 Elit. Street","Pike Creek","DE","47194");
INSERT INTO `client` (`clientID`,`FirstName`,`LastName`,`Address`,`City`,`State`,`ZipCode`) VALUES (736667,"Nicholas","Jacobs","P.O. Box 394, 597 Elit, Rd.","Augusta","ME","21439");
INSERT INTO `client` (`clientID`,`FirstName`,`LastName`,`Address`,`City`,`State`,`ZipCode`) VALUES (918489,"Levi","Weeks","7474 Lorem, Road","Clarksville","TN","26122");
INSERT INTO `client` (`clientID`,`FirstName`,`LastName`,`Address`,`City`,`State`,`ZipCode`) VALUES (572492,"Gary","Gates","P.O. Box 161, 6348 Sed Street","Reading","PA","47926");
INSERT INTO `client` (`clientID`,`FirstName`,`LastName`,`Address`,`City`,`State`,`ZipCode`) VALUES (287782,"Adam","Tyler","Ap #592-9862 Iaculis, Av.","Laramie","WY","53564");

index.php

<script>
    $(function () {
        $('.submit').bind('click', function () {
            $.post('customer.php', {id:$('.code').val()}, function (data) {
                $('.customers').html(data);
            });
        });
    });
</script>
<div class="customers"></div>
<input type="text" class="code" placeholder="Customer Code" /><input type="button" class="submit" value="search" />

<br><br>
Client ID: <input type="text" name="clientID"><br>
First name:<input type="text" name="fname"><br>
Last name:<input type="text" name="fname"><br>
Address:<input type="text" name="fname"><br>
City:<input type="text" name="fname"><br>
State:<input type="text" name="fname"><br>
Zip Code:<input type="text" name="fname"><br>

customers.php

<?php
    $db = new PDO('mysql:host=localhost;dbname=golf;charset=utf8', 'root', '');
    if (isset($_POST['clientID'])) {
        $customer = $db->prepare("SELECT * FROM client WHERE customer_number LIKE '%:clientID' OR customer_number LIKE ':clientID%' OR customer_number LIKE '%:clientID%' OR");
        $customer->execute(array(':clientID'=>$_POST['clientID']));
        while ($row = $customer->fetchObject()) {
            echo $row->customer_number.'<br />';
        }
    }
?>

Thank you for your time!! You’re awesome!

Hi, welcome to the forums!

You’ve got a couple of small bugs in your code which will stop it from working.

In index.php, the name of the page you’re posting to is customer.php and in your post you say it should be customers.php. Also, you’re passing the client ID as id, but your PHP script is expecting the variable clientID:

// Before
$.post('customer.php', {id:$('.code').val()}, function (data) {

//After
$.post('customers.php', {clientID:$('.code').val()}, function (data) {

In customers.php, your query references the field customer_number which doesn’t exist in your DB schema. It should be clientID:

// Before
$customer = $db->prepare("SELECT * FROM client WHERE customer_number LIKE '%:clientID' OR customer_number LIKE ':clientID%' OR customer_number LIKE '%:clientID%' OR");

echo $row->customer_number.'<br />';
}

// After
$customer = $db->prepare("SELECT * FROM client WHERE clientID = :clientID");

echo $row->clientID.'<br />';
}