I'm looking for inspiration!

I am looking for inspiration from other designer’s websites. I want to reinvent my flash website into an html5/css websites. Are there any other things I should keep in mind when coming up to speed at the end of 2014?

Are all wireframe tools created equal? I am sure I would get what I pay for. Does anyone use any good free wireframe tools? What wireframe tool would you suggest I pay for?

Thank you.

responsive.
check out similar sites.
flash is going out a bit. js/canvas/html5 ?

Ask yourself - does the sparkle of the site outweigh the content of the site, or does it enhance it? If it outweighs it, then you need to look at either a) reducing the sparkle, or b) amp up the content.

The days where fancy sites are desired over finding information easily and conveniently are long gone.

2 Likes

In this article you’ll find a few wirframing tools that may help you (all free)

Not all wireframing tools are the same but all of them are similar so you shouldn’t have any problem with any of them. I don’t use them because I tend to use pen and paper to do it… Sometimes it comes handy when you want a clean copy though

I’m glad that you’re adapting your site to the new times :smile:

Keep in mind that about about 30% of internet traffic is from mobile devices. Now, obviously a big portion of that is from apps (Facebook, Maps etc), but the remainder is still significant. So responsive design is important.

Since you’re doing an update, scratch flash altogether. It’s pretty much dead (it isn’t, but it is). You’ll want to replace your flash stuff with canvas, or hell, just CSS3/JavaScript if it’s just menu/basic animation stuff.

As for inspiration, here’s some of the sites I visit everyday - I’m not a designer, but they inspire me to be creative nonetheless:
Dribbble
Codrops
SitePoint, of course
365 Awesome Designers

Follow a hashtag or two on social media, like #webdesign on Twitter or webdesigninspiration on Pinterest. Whatever you use most.

Like I said, I’m not a designer, but I work with people who are and Invision seems to be very popular for prototyping/wireframing.

3 Likes

Labofoz this is the first I am hearing about Canvas. I’ll have to look into it.Thanks.
Edit: I did a search and didn’t find much. Blushing… Care to bring me up to speed on Canvas or is it a new term that I am not even acquainted with. lol :smile:

If you Google Canvas HTML5 you will find an abundance of tutorials:

https://www.google.com/search?q=canvas%20html5

I’m not sure how familiar you are with JavaScript / HTML5, so I’ll refrain from recommending one.

I’d rather use HTML5 Canvas. Flash is bad for search engine ranking and for mobile search. It slows down the page loading. Crawlers doesn’t read flash so flash can’t be indexed and too many flash animations may even result in not indexing deep pages.

If you damn sure you need inspiration, so go to the adobe photoshop website and see the adobe photoshop wonderful project. I am sure you are inspired.

Yep, I agree that Flash is bad for SEO ranking. It’s up to you, though.
Also, I’m not sure what kind of inspiration you’re looking for, but this might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S4aU8EF_Tg

Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.