I'm new to javascript...how long should a front end webdesigner spend learning it?

Hi all,
I’m a web designer that has been working in the industry for over eleven years, mostly farming out programming work to subcontractors while I focused on the design aspects of the project. Now that I am no longer self employed, I’ve noticed more and more jobs requiring front-end designers have strong javascript/jquery skills. I’d like to start learning javascript and jquery. My question to the forum is…

How far should I go in learning javascript before focusing on jquery? If jquery makes javascript simpler, how much time should I be focusing on javascript? Again, I dont’ want to be a full javascript programmer–I just want to know enough so I can land those web designer jobs that require a bit of javascript knowledge for front-end development.

Thanks for any advice you all can provide!

You need to go in far enough to know when jQuery is needed and when it’s not. Far too often, jQuery is used as a crutch and ends up doing what can be done with far less overhead and/or no javascript at all.