Image processing with Python

Hi all

I’m looking for your opinions…!

I wish to code a webapp that is going to do some heavy image processing,

1. I’m thinking of using Python’s PIL to decode upload jpeg/png/etc images before applying my own algorithms and saving out the processed image - sound like a reasonable use of PIL?

2. Initially I was thinking of using Google App Engine, but it seems there are restrictions on the file size to 1mb, I’d prefer/need a higher limit than this. I’m not sure if such a webapp is going to happily reside on a shared hosting environment, even for the initial prototyping phase. Am I looking at a need for a VPS?

Any thoughts?

Sure. Have you looked at the PIL docs to see if PIL will do what you want?

http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/

1. Heavy image processing would require a hefty amount of CPU resources if you’re going to do a lot, so a shared hosting might not be for you. Doesn’t the Google App Engine let you increase the limit with a higher plan? There are also other cloud platforms other than Google App Engine, so you might want to consider those.

Thanks so much for the response. I’ve looked briefly through the PIL documentation, I think it will suffice once it decodes/encodes jpeg/png and also allows me to access to the raw pixel values themselves.

I’m less clear about the resource requirements - I really should just prototype and profile the app offline first. GAE definitely imposes limits, but I’ll have a look at other cloud based options.

If you have any other comments I’d be delighted to hear them. Many thanks!