Implementing a form

so the way I see it, you’re basically confirming that

and we’ll have to just agree to disagree.

Another issue: the mailto command. Does it automatically send what you wrote to the email adress or does it pop up an outlook or whatever email client for you? I don’t need the last. I want the comment sent directly

In addition to what ralph said (I agree), keep in mind also that spambots can read that email you put out there like that. Since usually the point of a contact form is to keep your email hidden, this defeats the purpose. A backend script who knows your email address is safer in that regard.

Yes, I agree the developer is the one who determines if something counts as tabular data. I also think there’s a limit to how far that can be stretched, but people can make similar arguments for lists in forms: some see it as a list of questions, sometimes even with a set order (so they even do an ordered list). So long as the form is accessible and logical to the user, the markup isn’t a huge deal in comparison.

This is my opinion as a developer… certainly isn’t set in any hard rules anywhere. : )

Since we are all happy together: does someone know of a good php tutorial on implementing the type of form I have here ?

Also I have my webpage uploaded to a byethost server which is linked to a free .co.cc domain. How do I make it so that when users surf to www.haasfazant.co.cc they get automatically sent to the homepage instead of the visitor getting a serverlist with the different pages uploaded?

There are lots online. Try this one to start with, as it’s nice and simple:
http://webgeekworld.com/web_development_resource_details.php?id=42

How do I make it so that when users surf to www.haasfazant.co.cc they get automatically sent to the homepage

Change the name of home.htm to index.html. Most folders/directories expect to find an “index” file which they show by default when you point to that directory. Otherwise you just get a list of files like that.

I wrote a very quick and (I hope!) simple guide here:

If you’ve got any questions on that, just ask!

Since the data set doesn’t even exist before it’s entered, is there any semantic relationship that REQUIRES a table? Don’t get me wron it’s nice for the UI ( layout) if it resembles a table…(or if a table is used so that it resembles a table) but I would figure that semantically a form is NOT actually a table…

yep, a form is not a table.

but I would say at least 99% of the times I use a <form>, I want the content inside that form to display as a “table” and so I use <table> in those cases as it will be quicker and easier for me to align all the rows and columns up nicely.

also, maybe I’m splitting hairs here a bit but

Since the data set doesn’t even exist before it’s entered,…

is not necessarily true in all cases. in many cases the input text boxes, checkboxes, radio buttons etc could have default values from a database assigned to them on page load and so there will be preset data in those form inputs.

but I would say at least 99% of the times I use a <form>, I want the content inside that form to display as a “table” and so I use <table> in those cases as it will be quicker and easier for me to align all the rows and columns up nicely.

Is IE6/7 the reason you don’t use CSS display: table?

(honest question, I use display:table a lot less than I normally would if it weren’t for those two)

Sorry Kalon - usually I think you write a lot of good sense, but I really can’t accept that a <table> is a valid semantic choice for a form that consists purely of name-value pairs, and using “it is easier to do that layout” as a pretext is a red herring. With display:inline-block, it is very easy to create most form layouts with labels and inputs lined up as you want them.

display: inline-block has its own can of worms— especially if you’re still supporting browsers like K-Meleon, IE6 and IE7 (and supporting IE is easier than supporting browsers still using the FF2 engine).

that’s ok.

as I said back in post 12.

[I]

[I]it boils down to whether someone can argue that a data set is legitimate tabular data or not.

what is tabular data can be a grey area and open to interpretation.[/I]

[/I]