'Imported' Code Stopping HTML Validation

Hi,

I am trying to validate my HTML however I am also using ‘imported’ code which is generating errors. However I need the imported code. For example I have a code which displays the last five tweets from my Twitter feed but this is prevented my page from being fully HTML valid.

Is there anything I can do about this? Also is the SEO score of a page affect if a pages HTML validity is affected?

screen_name=website&include_rts=1&callback=twitterCallback2&count=5"

Being “valid” doesn’t mean much, though. These add-ons are made to work, and if they do, that’s all you need to worry about. The validator is just there to flag potential issues, but this is not an issue. Your site will not break. You usually just have to accept what you get from these add-ons, and no one cares about a ‘valid’ page, as long as it works. SEO is not affected.

In this case, you could try replacing each & with & as that is probably what the validator is objecting to.

screen_name=website[COLOR="#FF0000"]&am[/COLOR][COLOR="#FF0000"]p;[/COLOR]include_rts=1[COLOR="#FF0000"]&am[/COLOR][COLOR="#FF0000"]p;[/COLOR]callback=twitterCallback2[COLOR="#FF0000"]&am[/COLOR][COLOR="#FF0000"]p;[/COLOR]count=5"

Thanks,

I heard that the validation of a page will affect its performance in Google rankings. Google measures the HTML performance to determine where it will rank in its results. Even if it is minute.

I also used to know a small web developer who insisted that every page was HTML valid. Although many pages from major sites are not HTML valid.

If it’s really poorly coded, that may have an effect, but simply not being “valid” is totally irrelevant.

Google measures the HTML performance to determine where it will rank in its results. Even if it is minute.

A slight invalidity is not a performance issue. The two things are not the same.

I also used to know a small web developer who insisted that every page was HTML valid.

I know someone who insists that the spoon always be behind the teacup, with the head of the spoon to the left. Like civilization itself depends on it or something. Meh. I always put it around the other way just to be spiteful. :lol:

Although many pages from major sites are not HTML valid.

Exactly. Because they know it’s irrelevant and they’ve got better things to do, like rake in megabucks. (Not that those sites are necessarily good, but still …)

Edit:

It’s certainly a good discipline to check the validity of pages, so I’m not making fun of that, by the way. But it’s pointless getting obsessive about it. A valid page is not a badge of honor (though some people like to put silly badges on their sites :rolleyes: ). It’s just good to make sure there aren’t glaring errors that will break the page.