In need of a CMS, any ideas?

ok, i have a website, which has a very outdated, custom coded, almost non funtional CMS and im looking to revamp the whole site as well as promotional materials, etc.

now, the current CMS allows a user to register, gathers their contact info, and allows them to view certain webpages that can only be done once logged in.

It used to send the admin email once a new user has registered, but it quit doing that a while back, the whole sendmail part of it seems to be non functional now. It would also allow for a file upload to send a file once logged in.

The only real custom part of it, was that it would allow a user to generate a cost for a product based on a formula, which could be accomplished some other way if necessary. They didnt purchase this way, only get a general estimate. this can actually be done differently on the site instead of part of the cms.

right now, im just trying to find some type of cms where i can manage site users, collect their date, and something that might also be slightly customizable.

any ideas?

It really all depends on just what you want to do and how many features you need in whatever kind of website you want to develop. Sure there may be better options out there than wordpress, but it’s got so much going for it I’m just saying it’s worth looking at, especially since you can get a site up and running to experiment with in minutes for next to nothing.

I’d certainly recommend trying out as many solutions as possible though and going with what works best, whether it’s WP, Joomla, Drupal or something else. :smiley:

Cheers,

Steve

Ok. Probably, you’re right (2.7k postcount impresses) but do you really believe that a website with a photo gallery, forum and blog would run better on WP? When I decided to add a forum and a gallery to my website I had to move to Joomla.
Who knows, maybe I could find a better decision but moving a website to Joomla was the most convenient option for me. But this CMS also has its’ disadvantages. Embed video is one of them =)

Any good CMS will do what you want(some easier than others) I prefer Dialogs CMS google that.

k. i looked at it a little, no pricing on the website, filled out contact us form, waiting. how much is this one?

this is gonna be real basic, unless i discover that it can be made to do other things that i can implement into the site.

any other suggestions? whats the average price range for cms software?

Try Wordpress or Drupal.

Go open source, why pay for a CMS when there are great ones out there that are free? Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla, Sympal…

Go open-sourced. Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal - choose one of them and you’ll get what you want.

Wordpress gets my vote everytime. Can’t beat the cost, plenty of quality free or cheap themes, all kinds of plugins and a huge user base that has probably been there and done that no matter what you want to do with it.

Steve

@Steve,

The main disadvantage of Wordpress is that you can customize it as much as you can but it will still be a blog. And it is not that customizable if you need a social networking or web-directory website. And your customization limit is a page loading time.

Not to nitpick…but since the introduction of “pages” to wordpress a while ago it’s a great CMS whether you choose to include a blog section or not.

No…you can’t do everything with it, but plugins like buddypress have social networking covered and there are inexpensive themes to let you do even a classifieds or directory type site.

In addition, buddypress can add all the social networking you want to it.

I guess it was my mistake to post in this thread. I’m not that well informed about this theme.
As I said earlier, it was easier for me to move from WP to Joomla instead of finding a solution to fit my needs.