Including files in a while loop

I have a query and while loop that can be modified to display a variety of tables (e.g. Birds, Mammals, Flowers, etc.). However, each table requires special styling, so the page is getting bloated with code, like this…

switch($MyURL)
{
 case 'State_Birds':
  // INNER SWITCH(es)
  switch($Symbol)
  {
   case 'bobwhite':
   case 'turkey':
   $Desig = '<span style="padding: 2px; background: #900; color: #fff;"><sup>G</sup></span>';
   break;
   case 'peregrine falcon':
   $Desig = '<span style="padding: 2px; background: #f00; color: #fff;"><sup>R</sup></span>';
   break;
   case 'wood duck':
   $Desig = '<span style="padding: 2px; background: #00f; color: #fff;"><sup>W</sup></span>';
   break;
   case 'Kirtland&#8217;s warbler':
   $Desig = '<span style="padding: 2px; background: #f66;"><sup>B</sup></span>';
   break;
   case 'mourning dove':
   $Desig = '<span style="padding: 2px; background: #0ff;"><sup>S</sup></span>';
   break;
   default:
   $Desig = '';
   break;
  }

So I deleted all the code inside the while loop, pasted it in a separate file, then included it…

require($BaseINC."/2B/inc/D/Content/Child/DB/RefGS/PlanimalsCode.php");

But it doesn’t work - the code, that is. If I insert echo ‘Hello World’; on the included file, that works.

Can anyone tell me how to include a file inside a while loop?

Thanks.

You’re trying to define a function. So wrap it as such.
function sup($MyURL,$Symbol) {
//the code from above here
}

and then in the page when you need to call it…
sup($url,$symbol);

That said… if you’re doing a lot of this stuff, i’d suggest using CSS to define class types and use your switch to more intelligently assign things (or how about… class=‘$Symbol’ and dont use a switch at all?)

Thanks; those are good tips.

I guess I don’t understand your code after all. It’s supposed to go on the includED file, right? So I would link to the include as before…

require($BaseINC."/2B/inc/D/Content/Child/DB/RefGS/PlanimalsCode.php");

…then I would put your code in PlanimalsCode.php, where it would function in lieu of a PHP switch, right?

I get this error:

Cannot redeclare sup() (previously declared

But I don’t know how to implement your code correctly. This is obviously not right:

function sup($MyURL,$Symbol) {

switch($Symbol)
  {
   case 'bobwhite':
   case 'turkey':
   $Desig = '<span style="padding: 2px; background: #900; color: #fff;"><sup>G</sup></span>';
   break;
   case 'peregrine falcon':
   $Desig = '<span style="padding: 2px; background: #f00; color: #fff;"><sup>R</sup></span>';
   break;
   case 'wood duck':
   $Desig = '<span style="padding: 2px; background: #00f; color: #fff;"><sup>W</sup></span>';
   break;
   case 'Kirtland&#8217;s warbler':
   $Desig = '<span style="padding: 2px; background: #f66;"><sup>B</sup></span>';
   break;
   case 'mourning dove':
   $Desig = '<span style="padding: 2px; background: #0ff;"><sup>S</sup></span>';
   break;
   default:
   $Desig = '';
   break;
  }

switch($IDArea)
  {
   case 'us-de':
   case 'us-ri':
   case 'us-sd':
   $TRStyle = ' class="linkDark" style="background: #060; color: #fff;"';
   break;
   case 'us-wy':
   $TDStyle = ' style="border-bottom: none;"';
   break;
   default:
   $TRStyle = '';
   break;
  }

}

But if I replace $MyURL with the actual value, I get this…

function sup(State_Birds,$Symbol)

…which can’t work, either.

Thanks.

So how are you getting the values for $MyURL and $Symbol? Pulling them from a table, the URL string itself?

Yikes, I thought I replied, but I just checked and my response didn’t get published.

Anyway, the values are taken from a database, where values in a field named URL determine a pages URL ($MyURL). So if there’s a value “State_Birds,” a page will display at MySite/Topics/State_Birds.

So I could organize my code with a PHP switch based on URL’s…

switch($MyURL)
{
 case 'State_Birds':
 // CODE
 break;
 case 'State_Flowers':
 // CODE
 break;
 default:
 break;
}

…but that’s going to lead to code bloat. So I’d like to put the PHP switch in a separate file.

Sorry for the late responses; I don’t have an Internet connection at home, so I have to post from a library or WiFi cafe.

So… there’s two ways I could go with this;
#1: CSS.
One nice big CSS file with all the possible stylings.

.State_Birds_Warbler {
padding: 2px;
background-color: #900;
color: #fff;
}

and then something to the effect of;
echo “<span class='”.$MyURL.“_”.$Symbol.“'><sup>G</sup></span>”;

OR…
2: Database Driven
Add the following fields to your table:
background
color
symbol
select the extra fields when you select the data, and use that to construct your styling inline.