Inconsistent Results

I’m using a jQuery form to submit requests for information, but am getting some really inconsistent results when the form submission is sent to the PHP page for processing. I’ll fill out the form, hit submit, and sometimes it’ll return correctly, other times error out - even without changing anything or even refreshing the page. The page I’m talking about is here: http://www.amberleafrealty.com/properties/79801033

The backend processing page is below. Can anyone see anything that I should change? I’m just looking for reliable submissions here.

<?php include_once "../cfg/config.php"; // retrieve entered values $name = trim($_GET["name"]); $email = trim($_GET["email"]); $phone = trim($_GET["phone"]); $message = $_GET["message"]; $xcrn = trim($_GET["xcrn"]); $xtag = trim($_GET["xtag"]); $cleanphone = preg_replace("/[^0-9]/","",$phone); $phonepres = "(".substr($cleanphone, 0, 3).") ".substr($cleanphone, 3, 3)."-".substr($cleanphone,6); $cleanmessage = addslashes($message); // create sql statement $sql = "INSERT INTO re_amberleaf.tbl_messages SET me_name = '$name', me_phone = '$cleanphone', me_email = '$email', me_message = '$cleanmessage', me_ref = '$xcrn'"; dbConnect($db_name); $result = mysql_query($sql); $newid = mysql_insert_id(); if (!$result) { // if a database error occurs stop error("A error occurred while logging your request. \\nIf this error persists, please contact $admin_email."); } else { // otherwise - send the request email // assemble email message include("../cfg/class.phpmailer.php"); include("../cfg/class.smtp.php"); $agentbody = "A New Message for you from $name

Name:$name
Email: $email
Phone:$phonepres
Reference:$xcrn

"; $agentalt = "A New Message for you from $name/n/nName: $name/nEmail: $email/nPhone: $phonepres/nReference: $xcrn/n/nMessage:/n$message"; $guestbody = "

Thank you for visiting our website at www.amberleafrealty.com and requesting more information about one of our properties.
As a summary, the information you submitted is below.

Name:$name
Email:$email
Phone:$phonepres
Reference:$xcrn

You now have access to all available documents for this property, and can reach them by clicking the link below

Property Files »

We will follow up with you by phone within the next 24 hours. If you should have any questions before then, please don't hesitate to contact us!

Brian Varvel
Amberleaf Realty Group
Keller Williams Premier Realty
22762 Westheimer Parkway, Suite 430
Katy, Texas 77450
(281) 712-2465 Direct
(281) 220-8983 Fax
brian@amberleafrealty.com"; $guestalt = "Thank you for visiting our website at www.amberleafrealty.com and requesting more information about one of our properties. As a summary, the information you submitted is below./n/nName: $name/nEmail: $email/nPhone: $phone/nReference: $xcrn/nMessage:/n$message/n/nYou now have access to all available documents for this property, and can reach them by copying and pasting this link into your browser: http://www.amberleafrealty.com/properties/$xtag?vid=$newid/n/nWe will follow up with you by phone within the next 24 hours.
If you should have any questions before then, please don't hesitate to contact us!/n/n Brian Varvel/nAmberleaf Realty Group/nKeller Williams Premier Realty/n22762 Westheimer Parkway, Suite 430/nKaty, Texas 77450/n(281) 712-2465 Direct/n (281) 220-8983 Fax/nbrian@amberleafrealty.com"; $mail = new PHPMailer(); // send email to me $mail->IsSMTP(); // set to use SMTP $mail->SMTPAuth = true; // enable SMTP authentication $mail->SMTPSecure = "ssl"; // sets the prefix to the servier $mail->Host = "smtp.gmail.com"; // sets GMAIL as the SMTP server $mail->Port = 465; // set the SMTP port $mail->Username = "sending@emailaddress.com"; // GMAIL username $mail->Password = ""; // GMAIL password $mail->From = $email; $mail->FromName = $name; $mail->Subject = "Contact from the Amberleaf Realty Group Website"; $mail->AltBody = $agentalt; $mail->WordWrap = 50; // set word wrap $mail->MsgHTML($agentbody); $mail->AddReplyTo($email,$name); $mail->AddAddress("some@emailaddress.com","Some Person"); $mail->IsHTML(true); // send as HTML $mail2 = new PHPMailer(); // send email to guest $mail2->IsSMTP(); // set to use STMP $mail2->SMTPAuth = true; // enable SMTP authentication $mail2->SMTPSecure = "ssl"; // sets the prefix to the servier $mail2->Host = "smtp.gmail.com"; // sets GMAIL as the SMTP server $mail2->Port = 465; // set the SMTP port $mail2->Username = "sending@emailaddress.com"; // GMAIL username $mail2->Password = ""; // GMAIL password $mail2->From = "some@emailaddress.com"; $mail2->FromName = "Amberleaf Realty Group"; $mail2->Subject = "Property Information from the Amberleaf Realty Group"; $mail2->AltBody = $guestalt; $mail2->WordWrap = 50; // set word wrap $mail2->MsgHTML($guestbody); $mail2->AddReplyTo("some@emailaddress.com","Some Person"); $mail2->AddAddress($email,$name); $mail2->IsHTML(true); // send as HTML if(!$mail->Send()) { // agent message could not be sent echo 3; return; } else { if(!$mail2->Send()) { // guest message could not be sent echo 2; return; } else { echo 1; return; } } } ?>

mysql_ calls are deprecated. It would be better to change to mysqli or PDO

1 Like

Try setting error reporting and monitor errors and warnings which should account for the result discrepancy.

<?php
error_log('my_errors.php');
error_reporting(-1);
ini_set('display_errors',0);
include_once(...);

1: Prepared statements. This code is very, very open to attacks because it does not sanitize any of the data other than the phone number.
2: Mysql_.
3: There is no such function error() or dbConnect. I assume these are defined in config.php.
4: Without knowing what error() does, i can only hope that it logs the error somewhere, and that the error logged is something more than just the string passed there.
5. Echoing 3 2 or 1 doesnt tell me anything; why not use that error() function you defined earlier?

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.