Increase Width of Code Boxes

There are a couple of reasons. Firstly, this forum is a legacy from before we actually had a team of developers. Secondly, sometimes out-of-the-box is as good a solution as there is, and then the monster is too big to rewrite.

We actually do a LOT of customising but we use existing features and plugins where we can - saves dev time!

As far as the OP goes, we have this on our list of things to sort out - I’ll get to it as soon as I can. Promise. :slight_smile:

Mentors - Orange Badge
Advisiors - Green Badge
Team Leaders - Blue Badge
Adminstrator - Red Badge (Whoever has an Administrator badge is an employee of SitePoint)
SitePoint Staff - Dark Blue Badge (black text for username, they are all employees of SitePoint)

Mentors, Advisors and Team Leaders are volunteer forum staff and are not employees of SitePoint. The link in CreedFeed’s post (post #26) shows what teams Mentors, Advisors and Team Leaders are part of.

There were some test cases where a long line of text would blow the age apart.

I wouldn’t call that similarly themed. The “member data” is in a “top row” while here it’s in a “left cell” that takes up some of the width.

What makes it not so easy is vBulletin uses tables for layout.

I’m no CSS guru by any means, and some of my fellow Staff are much better at it. I don’t know how much time and effort they put into finding a suitable work-around, but I’m sure they would be more than pleased if someone is up to the challenge and can find a solution.

By similar theme I mean that it is also a forums website for website developers.

At the bottom of their web pages I see

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3

The page layout on this website is ok, but if I had a choice I would prefer the layout on the example site I posted as imho the space usage for ‘member data’ and posts is more efficient.

On this site all the whitespace under the avatar and member info is wasted along with the whitespace to the right of all the code blocks.

But as I said earlier, it’s not a big deal. I was hoping that it might be a quick and easy adjustment to widen the code blocks but I can live the current layout as well :slight_smile:

Why doesn’t SitePoint build their own website?! :-/

I just assumed with all of the talent here, that this was a home-grown system and not some recycled OTS solution… :cool:

TomTees

Over at PHPFreaks you can drag the window to the size you want…

At the very least, the window width needs to be increased.

If you can make it adjustable, all the better!

TomTees

Patience, patience :slight_smile: We’re getting there step by step :shifty:

Patience. No need to start duplicate threads. :shifty:

One problem is that the SitePoint forums are vBulletin, so it may not be so easy to implement style changes that would be acceptable to the wider general membership, eg. you may be browsing with a large resolution monitor with the view-port maximized, but what about those that aren’t?

IMHO perhaps the best course of action would be for you - if you are using Firefox - is to write a GreaseMonkey userscript that would change the width for you while you’re on the forums.

If you can’t write one yourself, I may be able to talk one of the Staff members into doing it for you.

Are you using Firefox? GreaseMonkey? Do you have enough experience to try writing one yourself?

Thank you for your reply.

I replicated my original thread because I didn’t see a reply after 2-3 days and so I thought maybe this forum might be a more appropriate location for my query.

Thanks for the offer, but I usually use IE and I don’t use Greasemonkey.

But it’s not a big deal really. I was hoping that maybe it was just a matter of adjusting a parameter somewhere in the administrator control panel.

I can live with the code boxes as they are, but I am sure that some other vBulletin forums similar to this have wider code boxes. (see this example)

Thanks again anyway :slight_smile:

yep, looks like it’s definitely in the “too hard” basket now :unhappy:

The forums are fun by staff and we don’t have direct access to the source… and the programmers have other priorities at the moment. The only thing that I can do for you is to give you a css that will make them wider in your browser (it will work if you’re using FF and Stylish or similar)

That will work until the change is done :slight_smile:

ok thanks - but I was hoping it would be a quick and simple fix like over at webdeveloper which is also powered by vBulletin

i can live with them the way they are.

The code boxes over there are 900 pixels wide. Over here they used to be 480 pixels wide, but that was recently changed to 700 pixels wide. Did you miss that?
The reason we don’t want them to be wider than 700 pixels is that the layout of the forums will break on monitors with 1024 vertical pixels and less.
Webdeveloper doesn’t really have this problem because they show the postbits on the top of the thread, instead of on the side as we have them here.

That being said, we have found a solution to give the codeboxes 100% width, so they behave exactly like the [noparse][QUOTE][/noparse].
But, as malona already pointed out, the devs have other priorities at the moment.

Just have patience, it’ll come one day :slight_smile:

hmmmmm :scratch:

I’ve been here nearly 3 months and the code boxes and the width of the code boxes in my IE8 (my default browser) has not changed.

But I just did a test login in my FF3.6 and yes the code boxes are noticebly wider - much better.

Ok, from hereon you won’t hear a peep out of me anymore on this one and I’ll use FF when logged into sitepoint.

Thanks for the work done so far on widening the code boxes :slight_smile:

So, wuzzup with IE?

IE7 and [url=http://stommepoes.nl/ie6codebox.png]IE6 haz the problem too (didn’t check IE8 since Kalon did).
(Compare FF)

I guess IE6 I can understand, since it’s totally retarded all the time, but 7 and 8? Surprising.

Someone at SP didn’t notice the styles embedded in the head of each page:

<style type="text/css">
pre.alt2 { width:480px;# }
pre.alt2 { width:100% !important; }
* html pre.alt2 { width:480px !important; }
*+html pre.alt2 { width:480px !important; }
</style>

!important is Evil. It should be banned from teh interwebs. It is for users not authors!!!

stout stout