Increasing Traffic with Social Media

Yes, I definitely agree with you. Without a doubt social media marketing boost your website ranking SERPs, but when you have to do SMM in proper & correct way. Because with the help of SMM you get targeted traffic, & traffic is also play vital role to increase your website ranking in SERPs.

Some social channels may help you with search, many others are private and never seen but either way the primary benefits are worlds apart. If you can pick up a little ranking as a secondary, great, but don’t make it your focus.

I agree with at this point that social media is a new source to bring traffic but we do have to keep doing the basic techniques for SEO.Because today more people prefer to search in search engine.

Even though I agree with the fact that Search Engine Optimization has become a difficult task, I disagree with the fact that social media is good in driving targeted traffic. Just think about the efforts on both, how many targeted and new visitors can you drive into your website with social media optimization efforts?

But instead, if you can work on SEO and get your website ranked for just one targeted keyword, you are done and its easy from there on.

If traffic is your main goal and you have something people want to see more of [that’s the essential point as in social the user is deciding what to interact with] you can drive more traffic than search. Why? Because search requires intent up front… that’s what makes it so damn good as a source but it’s also limited… X people search, Y people click. You can’t exceed those numbers but in social or any other discovery medium your limit is the size of the interest pool, which is essentially infinite.

However I’d suggest that driving traffic from social should rarely be the first goal.

Thanks for your response Ted…

This line is what I am talking about. Moreover, when there is a event of some kind, such as a meet or a webinar, which requires instant advertisement, social media can be a better source. But ultimately when you have a website that is well projected on SERP, promoting events too will not be a tough task. Just a banner on the homepage or the page that is ranked would do the task.

I’m not sure I follow…

Social and search are completely different animals. One is about a base of followers and their extended reach out, the other is about what people seek in. Neither solves every possible situation on its own.

Taking your events example sure you could work to rank your site for location + field + event but that assumes most people are out searching for events in your space. They’re not. People put search into this silo and the “search = marketing” myth grows but in reality only a small fraction of an addressable market is in consideration or activation modes where they’d go out looking [searching]. To reach the majority you have to push into their radar and while social offers the chance to do that through trusted, almost pull means.

Thus back to Sega’s original post, you win when you diversify yourself.

SEO & Social media are certainly different animals.

SEO remains unchanged; it’s still as important as ever to do it… but the problem is more are doing it better, and when that happens it becomes ‘the norm’, and fewer stand out. Google then raises the bar and uses actual ‘on-site content’ and ‘off-site linked content’ (eg articles, etc) to assess relevance to the search phrase used. Certain parts of SEO have much less relevant, if not all together dead.

Facebook has great potential, but again the rules are changing. My FB page receives an average of between 7% to 10% of likes per post (eg 7-10% of the fans ‘like’ each post on avg). Regardless of this, what I’m noticing is FB is steadily and systematically reducing the number of viewers that actually get to see the posts; regardless if they are high likers or not. Obviously this is all about setting up for advertising revenue; but that could easily be the killing the golden goose!

Content is still king, either on-site or off-site. Carefully written articles placed on the right sites, and marketed via SEO & FB still does the job. At the end of the day; Google puts people in front or relevant content.

[ot]I think this sums up where a lot of people feel social media marketing lets itself down…
[/ot]

Personally, I like Facebook, Stumbled Upon and Youtube (i like Youtube the most). As you say Sega, Social Media optimization is kind of the new search engine optimization;I think that’s good for a e-commerce site. They need visitors and customers. But in my opinion, it won’t help for SEO aspects as improve PRs. It’s just for Sale purposes.

Search engine has getting smarter and trickier. But following the standard rule of these search engines would will help your site not to get penalized.

And Yes, I Agree that social media would help to increase the traffic for your site.However, it’s not only the method that you can use. I still believe on ‘Content is the King’. Engaging your self to Guest Blogging/ Posting for example is one of the method I’m talking about. It will Build relation to other blogger, webmasters and to your readers through your post plus it will give your site a natural backlinks plus will help to increase the traffic on your site. And through advance blogging features your old post can be found in the suggested or related links. It’s a long term benefits actually.

I have a friend who used facebook to drive traffic to his website and it really worked. He used to have thousands of people visiting his website so no doubt that Social media can be very helpful to increase traffic to your website. You should know how to gain attention and make people visit your website.

Sure! You have a well-prepared content that’s useful for your readers then you will get the traffic come in from social networks for sure. You can also ask help from your friends on facebook via private message to them.

Thanks for your response…

I have a question: How could you use visits from your friends or known people? Would they convert into valuable prospects?

Just asking your friends to visit your website or requesting someone to visit your website would not do any good to you or your website. Instead, think of some ways to drive interested people in, I mean, post some content that can get people’s interest and they themselves visit your website.

And judging by those icons, nobody is.

I think the thing that scares most of sideowners away from social media is the fact,
that they dont have a facebook fanpage or twitter account with a lot of followers
and simply dont know how to get one. While SEO is something they know.

I agree that the Social media is now without doubt a must replacing all the old SEO techniques and to drive traffic…but I still haven´t found the right way to do it.

i often read about using social media to drive traffic. But, how exactly do you use social media to drive traffic to your site?

Yes Social Media can definitely bring in traffic to your website. If you have a good Facebook page and twitter profile, on which you share valuable-engaging content, then lots of people are bound to see it and invariably check out your website and drop in inquiries. The crux of good SMM is understanding how people interact with content on different social networking sites and catering to them accordingly. If your SMM is good, your website is sure to get more visitors. Whether they convert to customers or not depends on a lot of other factors.

You have to get as much followers as possible on Twitter. Interesting and useful content will force them to make a retweet. There is not bad article http://seo-hacker.com/lot-retweets/