InDesign Question - Help!

Oh gawd,

I hired this girl to re-create an airline ticket for me that I needed to be done 2 nights ago. She finally finished, all looks good, I go to print it off & it’s shrunk on the page in tiny print.

She’s saying it’s my printer & I say she doesn’t know what she’s talking about, but maybe I’m wrong.

I’ve never had this problem before.

I’ve tried everything including changing how it prints in the Ctrl P area.

How she managed to fit all of that text on one page when the ticket was long in the e-mail I received is beyond me.

I asked her to fix it & she says there’s nothing to fix.

I saw that it’s in 62% view, so when I changed it to 100%, suddenly I got a huge horizontal scrollbar. This tells me something is wrong since I never have that with PDF files.

Is it her or my printer, please help.

I asked her twice to send me the InDesign file so someone else can fix it & she isn’t giving it to me :frowning:

I really need this fixed tonight.

Michelle

What filed do you have PDF or InDesign (incidentally InDesign files will need all the associated files with it including font and artwork , which may involve copyright issues) ?

If you are dealing with a PDF, check the following on the Print/Page Setup

1. Look at the preview composite window ( on the right) is it a normal page size 11 X 8.5 the art board maybe larger than your printer can accommodate and its scaling to print even marginal areas
  2. you could be in ‘booklet printing’ mode by mistake by mistake
  3. in acrobat open try hitting command -R ( ruler) and seeing the ACTUAL dimensions of the piece, you artist may haev worked to scale ( tho I cant think why… but it happens)
  4. make sure you selected paper size (under PRINTER OPTIONS, is set correctly ) if everything is to scale but your printer think its sending to tabloid it may be auto scaling. This applies toPDF or AID files.

Hope that helps and good luck!

I had to force her to give me the INDD b/c clearly I needed to find someone else to fix the problem.

I have both the PDFs (multiple versions now) & the INDD.

Under paper orientation it just says “portrait”

Under Paper size it does say Letter

No, I didn’t change anything & when I did try to change all those settings, I tried each one wasting paper & ink & nothing worked.

I don’t know what command R means. I have Reader, not the full version of adobe.

Not sure what you mean, all looks fine in there.

Someone else is looking at the INDD file & I think he said it was set to A4, but I’m not sure if he’s correct.

Just nuts.

I didn’t even tell her to use INDD, she just used it.

You’d think the person would know what they are doing if they decide to use such a complex piece of software.

The stress I had to go thru b/c I needed this as it was very important is nuts. 2 hours I spent trying to get her to fix the problem with her claiming there was nothing to fix.

The only way I got it printed out was b/c she finally realized maybe she should send me a version that can open in a browser.

The only browser that would work was Fx as the rest defaulted to Reader. Then in Fx, it only printed the first part of the page, not the entire page. I had to tell her to cut it into 2 different pages. Geeze :frowning:

Oh I just looked at where you are from :slight_smile: I used to live there from ages 6-10 :slight_smile: small world.

Thanks

Michelle

I don’t know what command R means. I have Reader, not the full version of adobe.

In ANY version, Comm-R SHOWS RULERS. You can then see what the ACTUAL size of the document is ( there are other ways of checking size but this is the laziest and least technical ) . If you had seen that the size was any other than the FINISHED SIZE expected, then you would been able to ascertain where the scaling error was. For example it the rulers showed it was 4.25"x 5.5" then you would be able to know that she had done the design to 1/2 scale. ( quick solution, print scaled 200%, centered, letter paper, orientation portrait)

Under paper orientation it just says “portrait”

Under Paper size it does say Letter

Portrait is the TALL way ( 8.5 X11) . If the design is wide (11 X8.5) and Acrobat is auto scaling, you might get the error described ( since it’s trying to fit 11" width into 8" width )

Not sure what you mean, all looks fine in there.

Someone else is looking at the INDD file & I think he said it was set to A4, but I’m not sure if he’s correct.

And that what I was suggesting that she may have output the design to the wrong size paper ( So the design IS RIGHT, but her paper size is wrong; she putting it in A4 and you needing to print on Letter).

You’d think the person would know what they are doing if they decide to use such a complex piece of software.

The stress I had to go thru b/c I needed this as it was very important is nuts. 2 hours I spent trying to get her to fix the problem with her claiming there was nothing to fix.

The only way I got it printed out was b/c she finally realized maybe she should send me a version that can open in a browser.

Yes that would be way more than headache inducing. One thing that benefit both parties is to indicate what your software requirements are. It’s industry standard to do PRINT layout on either In Design, Quark or Illustrator… WORST CASE Photoshop ( files would be huge), Powerpoint /Word layout are … insanely rare as neither program is good for actually mass printing.

Oh I just looked at where you are from I used to live there from ages 6-10 small world.

great now I have that song stuck in my head :wink:

So sorry I never responded, I don’t think I got the e-mail that you responded to the thread. I’ll try to read this soon as I’m swamped right now. :slight_smile:

I finally got someone to fix it, but it was brutal. She wasted tons of my time.

Thank you sooo much :slight_smile:

Michelle