Index.html page question

Hi everyone.
I brought Ian LLyod’s book “build your website the right way” yesterday but I’m unclear about why the text edit page that the html code is written in can longer be used to write additional html code once it is saved and opened as a html page. How can I add more html code to the basic.html or (index.html) text page? I turned off the rich text option in text edit preferences. I hope I’m making sense. I don’t get It. Thanks for any help.

R. Mack

I think it’s the problem of editor. Use notepad ++ (or any other good editor) to edit html files.

Hi snecz,
Thanks for replying. Ian Llyod states in his book that “TextEdit” (macintosh) should be used as a plain text editor. There must be something that I’m doing wrong. Thanks

R. Mack

If you don’t have a dedicated text editor such as Notepad++ or such that was designed for writing code, then you really, really have to use a text editor with all the formatting turned off. All my students want to write in MSWord if I don’t stop them from it right off the bat.

Hi Black Max,
I found a thread in the archives that made the same suggestion that you made (thanks). In the thread There was a free list of free text editing applications downloads for macintosh. Since I 'm still using mac osx 10.4.11 (ancient) I downloaded Creatext . I would still like to figure out why TextEdit isn’t working, but I do have Creatext. Thanks.

R. Mack

I suspect you might have to change the preferences (Plain text) like it mentions on page 5 - maybe the program didn’t save the settings? Though I don’t have a Mac so cannot help you with Mac programs. The book also mentions TextWrangler [page 8 and 9] you might find you have more luck using that for your Mac editor when editing the *.html files.

If CreaText works for you, then by all means go for it. I’m not a Mac user either, so I’m with Robert in being unable to make specific suggestions, but the first and foremost goal is to find a program that works for you and does what it’s supposed to. A few years ago I took the plunge into Notepad++ at the recommendation of half the forum posters in here, and I’ve never seen a reason to go back. It works for me. CreaText is no longer under development, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use it. A quick glance over the SourceForge page gives me a pretty good impression of the program.

Hi xhtmlcoder,
I made all the changes in TexEdit’s preferences from the very beginning, but no improvement. Thanks for your help.

Black Max,
CreaText Seems to work just fine even though development of It has been discontinued. Thank you for your help.

R. Mack