Information Architecture strategies for RIA / Web Apps [sitemap]

What’s good Sitepointers?
I’ve been looking for resources and information about Information Architecture strategies for Web Apps, and I’m not having much luck. In the project I’m working on, our content is provided by our users and we are providing tools/functionality to organize and manipulate the relationships in the content.

I’ve mapped out an “ideal” linear based task path from creation of content to organization of it, then manipulating it, reviewing it, and finally generating a report. I’ve tested this basic path with users and gotten positive feedback. But now I’d like to get more concrete and create a sitemap. Maybe its a “functionality map” that will help us determine where in the app to place features.

I’m fairly certain I’m using the wrong terms to find information architecture strategies for my use case scenario, and hence I’m striking out on google. Any ideas on “what” I’m looking for is called?

I am not quite sure what you are seeking but your description sounds like an old-fashioned FlowChart.

Do you intend to turn this ‘manual’ process (that has received positive feedback from users) into an automated (web-based) one?

For organizing your project and managing tasks you can look to any one of the many “Project Management” systems (Basecamp, Unfuddle, PivotalTracker).
Am I on the right track?

I think “yes” and “yes”

Does anybody know of any methods for organizing workflows/user flows into sitemaps and interfaces? For example, in information/content based sites - I’m familiar with performing content audits, organizing the content areas through methods like card sorting, and turning that into something “concrete” like sitemaps and navigation systems.

This is my first time working on a large complex application (as opposed to an information based site). What’s the process for turning workflows, features and functionality into sitemaps and organized interfaces?