Install and Integrate Elasticsearch with Drupal

Originally published at: http://www.sitepoint.com/install-integrate-elasticsearch-drupal/

This entry is part 2 of 1 in the series A Silex and Elasticsearch app powered by Drupal 7 for content management

A Silex and Elasticsearch app powered by Drupal 7 for content management

• Install and Integrate Elasticsearch with Drupal

In this tutorial I am going to look at the possibility of using Drupal 7 as a content management system that powers another high performance application. To illustrate the latter, I will use the Silex PHP microframework and Elasticsearch as the data source. The goal is to create a proof of concept, demonstrating using these three technologies together.

The article comes with a git repository that you should check out, which contains more complete code than can be presented in the tutorial itself. Additionally, if you are unfamiliar with either of the three open source projects being used, I recommend following the links above and also checking out the documentation on their respective websites.

The tutorial will be split into two pieces, because there is quite a lot of ground to cover.

In this part, we’ll set up Elasticsearch on the server and integrate it with Drupal by creating a small, custom module that will insert, update, and delete Drupal nodes into Elasticsearch.

In the second part, we’ll create a small Silex app that fetches and displays the node data directly from Elasticsearch, completely bypassing the Drupal installation.

Elasticsearch

The first step is to install Elasticsearch on the server. Assuming you are using Linux, you can follow this guide and set it up to run when the server starts. There are a number of configuration options you can set here.

A very important thing to remember is that Elasticsearch has no access control so, once it is running on your server, it is publicly accessible through the (default) 9200 port. To avoid having problems, make sure that in the configuration file you uncomment this line:

network.bind_host: localhost

And add the following one:

script.disable_dynamic: true

Continue reading this article on SitePoint

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.