Installing gems behind firewall

I have downloaed & installed ruby. the firewall seems to be preventing the installation of gems. so I went, downloaded & unzipped to c://ruby21/ folder rubygems-2.4.6
now…it’has been a pain to proceed. Not familiar w/ruby How can i change directory. And what commands should I run?
a dir.chdir c://ruby/21/rubygems-2.4.6 did not get me in there. How should i proceed to get his over & done w/?
thx
D

Installing Ruby on windows that sounds like a hell you want to avoid by using a Linux vm.

1 Like

Is this your firewall we’re talking about or are you at work?
i.e. can you configure it?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1903005/installing-gems-from-behind-a-corporate-firewall

This worked for me.

Running a VM to compile SASS sounds absolutely miserable. And it still doesn’t fix the firewall issue. lol

Have you confirmed that a firewall is preventing installation of gems or is that just a guess. I’m assuming the later which is why I recommend a vm. You have nothing to lose if doesn’t work.

Why, the way development is heading you should probably be working on a vagrant machine anyway. I run everything on a vm using vagrant these days.

For me? It’s was a corporate firewall.

Not everyone works this way. Me for instance, I work in Java on an AIX machine. Running Java on a VM is just a hassle since it’s virtually completely self contained and AIX licenses cost as much as a car. We also run on PowerPC, so real VMs won’t work anyway.

Everyone has different ways of working. Working in a VM is great if you’re a Ruby or PHP developer, but it’s not good blanket advice. I’ve been working in Node.js alot at home and I’m not going to run a VM for that either, that would just be a hassle for no benefit. I just have it installed globally on my Mac. Database and Redis server running in their own instances on another computer.

There are lots of Ruby utilities that work great and installing a VM to just do something like compile SASS is silly.

But anyway, this is OT. I’m not OP.

Why would a VM solve the firewall issue? Chances are it isn’t a software firewall but a hardware one. So the VM’s outbound connection would have hit it too… Or am I missing something here?

1 Like

Good morning all.
And thank you for your advice . Yes it is the firewall. I had googled for resolutions before posting. & also I did post something like this last year. But i had at the time given up on ruby. (& while the post w/a partial answer came up yesterday while i was writing the post, can’t find it now)
but anyway. it was said that simple solution would be to just download and install the rubygems. so i did that

I now should be able to install rubygems from a command prompt my search on the web was not very helpfull on that front.

So was hoping you could tell me what command to use.It’also would be nice to see ruby show up on git…
Thank you all
D

Do you have Ruby installed? What happens if you type: ruby -v in the Windows command line?

Also, Git is not a command line replacement. It’s a Source Control, the terminal is designed to interface with Git like you would from a Mac or Linux machine. I don’t think the tool to emulate a bash screen is designed to be used the way you’re trying to use it.

Hello Mawburn, Bit confusing. as ruby “seems” to be installed. as you can see from the image. but I can’t confirm it w/the git (where i should be able to see it installed) or with a command prompt in window. (just tried it, usually i don’t use it.)
thx
D

another option i can try and saw in stack is to use fiddler

but would hope to just install it locally from the command prompt in ruby

eyah. i don’t think they’d like me to use fiddler…

Right, it looks like you did something like “open in command line” which is different than typing ruby -v in the command line.

Sounds like you might have tried to manually install it. Which means that it wasn’t registered to your path variables correctly. Try using the Windows RubyInstaller.

After this, type ruby -v into the windows command line to verify that it was installed correctly and your path variables work.

The git command line for windows is running on mingw which is a isolated environment. If you would like to install ruby for mingw that is a separate process from just installing ruby on windows itself. The know I keep harping about using a vm but between vagrant and puphpet you can easily have a vm set-up for ruby in a few minutes. In that regards I don’t think you’re working very smart here. Unless your just doing this as an exercise and not for a client project or anything.

2 Likes

Thank you Mawbur. Actually that was what i used. I went back uninstalled just to be sure. right clicked on the downloaded installer.
“rubyinstaller-2.1.5.exe”
run it as admin just to be sure.
but when went to try to call it up w/a window command prompt it still did not show.
D

The path variable isn’t being set. I can’t remember how to fix this in Windows.

Depends what version of Windows you’re on:

1 Like

Ok! awesome finally manged to get ruby installed. Thank you all(good grief was about to start crying like a motherless child)!
now the last part…what commands do i use to install rubygems please? I placed the rubygems folder in the ruby21 folder.

never mind! looks like it might be in! Holy smoke what ha headache.
Thank you all for your help and patience with this.
however if you want to share on how to install rubygem or any gem from the ruby command line. please do i’d love to know & am sure it’ll come handy.

This is only the beginning.