Integrate Third Level of Navigation

I’m struggling with how to incorporate a third level of navigation into a WordPress site I’m building for a client. Here’s what I tried so far - http://happilyeveractive.org/WP/about/people
The buttons essentially function as the third level navigation. I tried putting another row of text links below the secondary navigation, but didn’t really like it.

The problem with this approach (if I keep it) is that I’m not sure what the best way would be for allowing the user to easily navigate back to the buttons on the People page, say after they select the Co-Founders button. Is a breadcrumb the answer? A user can already tell where they are in the hierarchy though by the color of the other navigation buttons and links.

The other problem I have is that ideally it should be possible for the user to easily add new sections. The People section should be relatively unchanging, but there is going to be a third level under the Current Projects section as well, and these could potentially change frequently. It would be better if the client didn’t have to call me up every time they needed to add another project.

So, should I keep this approach? And if I do, how should I handle the Back functionality? And if this approach is not a good one, what might a better one be? I would like to avoid fly-out menus if at all possible. I have never been a fan of them as a user.

Thx!

From what I am seeing, you have a lot of items that could be grouped together. For example, why not group the 2nd level “About Us”, “Background”, and “Mission & Vision” into the 1st level “About” section and then use a drop-down menu? This would occupy much less space while grouping common categories. Just be sure to make it clear to the user that the menu item has a drop-down enabled with something like a down arrow. I would also make the drop-down menu a bit larger than normal to account for degrading motor skills since it seems like elderly folk might be the majority of this sites visitors.

As far as the addition of projects goes, I would use a blog type format that makes it easy to archive and search for different projects while still allowing for the addition of many different projects.

Also, when I move from the home page to a different interior page, the navigation color theme changes. This is a big no-no and could be the source of some confusion.

Sorry about the shortish answer, I am running late for an appointment. If you need some more help just let me know and I would be happy to lend a hand or a word :).