Internet won't connect

So, my computer isn’t able to connect to the internet. My drivers aren’t showing. If I go to device manager, then I see I miss the driver that is supposed to be there. I look at my brothers computer, and he has that driver on his computer. We have the same type of computer, both are an Asus EEE PC 901.

One day, I come on to my computer, start it up, and it would just stay in a blank screen. Really weird. Then when I finally manage to get it to startup normally using F8 on startup into a system restore. My internet won’t show up. The driver disappeared on my device manager. My brother had the same problem but he fixed it. He is not sure how he did it either, he just fiddled around with it he says.

Help? Any temp solutions such as getting a wireless USB adapter (I think that’s what its called)

I tried that right before you posted.

I went to add hardware wizard and installed hte driver that my brother said I was missing.

In device manager it came up as the driver #2 (driver being the one I was missing)
So the driver is installed somewhere because upon installation it came upon #2

Still nothing.

Drivers reinstallation require a previous uninstallation and a reboot, then you can reinstall the drivers again. And after that, another reboot, and then chek if they are good to go.

i guess you dont need a cd drive to install the driver - it can be downloaded to another puter and put on a usb pen or something similar. but i guess you have to completely remove it before doing it - as i said above…

Have you tried copying his working *.dll set to your machine? I assume you’ve tried the vendors latest driver sets and so forth. A wireless adapter might work if you disable the internal aerial and so-forth but it sounds like you might have software issues.

Your computer probably has a hidden recovery partition and if it doesn’t you might consider either a large USB pen or external DVD-RAM drive in case of disaster!

I suspect it was a faulty installation if you already had the *.dll and it probably shoved it somewhere wrong. Like was said usually you have to uninstall/disable things to force it to see them again and it may rebuild the database once you trigger them.

If I unnistall completely will I be able to install it via new hardware wizard? I don’t know how I originally installed it. My computer doesn’t have a CD drive…just saying

uninstall it -> clear all temp files -> run chkdsk at startup and try to install it again or…

clear all temp files -> then uninstall it and disable it -> power off the computer by shutting it down, just cut the power and let it scan at startup -> enable -> install