Introducing PHP Live and CSS Live

Last month you might have heard about—or participated in—Kevin Yank’s JavaScript Live. It was a great success, with over 3,000 participants signed up within a week, and fantastic feedback from the people who attended. On that note I’d like to introduce …

[B]PHP Live with Kevin Yank[/B]

• Duration: 21 days
  • Starts: 14th June, 2010
  • Price: $29.95

[B]CSS Live with Russ Weakley[/B]

• Duration: 14 days
  • Starts: 5th July, 2010
  • Price: $9.95

Both courses follow the same format of JavaScript Live, with structured lessons (including a mix of videos and mini articles) for four days of each week, and live Q&As each Friday. You’ll also have access to a huge community of fellow course students helping each other in a private forum.

We’ve also kept the prices to a minimum, with PHP Live only $29.95 for a three-week course, and CSS Live (two weeks) only $9.95!

You have plenty of lead time to sign up for these courses, but I’d recommend getting in early—if numbers are too great, we might need to close off entries before the course starts.

And my final piece of course-related good news is that we’ve opened up the doors once more on JavaScript Live. If you missed the original course, for $9.95 you can sign up now and do it at your own pace. There’s sure to be a crowd participating at the same time, so the only difference will be no live Friday Q&As; however, you will receive recordings of the previous Q&As. Sign up to JavaScript Live here.

I’d also like to know if the CSS lesson videos differ from the CSS Crash course videos, as I’ve already purchased these?
Thanks again…

Tomorrow is quite fine, thank you. Have a good night. :slight_smile:

The lessons are all captioned… not so sure about the live sessions but I will check it for you :slight_smile:

Tomorrow, if you don’t mind… it is quite late here and I’m not able to stay awake a minute longer :lol:

Thanks for the response. I am deaf. Thus it may not be an issue unless the live sessions are captioned in real-time. If not, are the session recordings captioned? Are all videos and audio-based resources captioned?
Thanks,
Jeff

You can join at any time. The only difference will be that you will have to watch the live sessions instead of participating on them :slight_smile:

Are courses limited to the time slots listed? I was unable to take the courses on the dates that they were offered. Can the courses now be taken at any time?
Many thanks for the great work,
Jeff

Wish I could learn ASP.net too… There seems to be a lot of job openings in my state for people who know ASP.net and a few other coding languages. I have a question though. Will we receive any kind of certification or some kind of paper saying that we passed the course? I know it’s not graded or anything, but even if I get a great chance to learn this stuff, it would be better if I could have something showing that I took it or learned something from it. Otherwise I’ll have to find a way to get certification here, and probably have to go to school and learn some more of the same stuff I already know right now…

Hi Gloria Jean,

To complete your registration head to http://courses.sitepoint.com/myorder, and if you’ve already completed registration you can view the PHP Live dashboard at http://courses.sitepoint.com/php-live/dashboard.

This information should have been emailed to you over the last week, can you confirm you haven’t received the emails, not in your junk folder etc.?

I have no idea where to go to get the php course. If I can’t get the course, why did they take my money? Just in case I never get it, would someone tell me how I can cancel it and get a refund?

Hawk - thanks for your good response.
My support request got responded to in the end as well.

I’ll send you an email of feedback, but to be honest we’re all aware that mistakes can happen, and don’t mind that - it’s just how the company responds when alerted to that mistake. The lack of response, then the kind of responses I received were less than ideal.

Added to which, by having to resort to a public forum to try to get attention on the problem it means there’s always a busybody like molona who puts in a response with no useful information, no actual involvement in the problem, and no real knowledge of what the situation is - but all in the quest to earn himself some more of those cub scout forum badges. Poor signal to noise ratio.

Anyway, thanks for sorting it out now.

You’re correct but not only that, we forbid to publish any personal information in the forums for security purposes :smiley:

Sammy, welcome to SP :wave: I would suggest that you search the forums as this topic has been discussed many times over. Then, head for just starting your design and read the stickies there.

I’ll make you easy for you… The structure of this forums (and the names of the main categories) are related on the procedure followed to create a website:

1. Gathering, writing and organizing content
  2. Designing and getting the main usability needed on the site
  3. Programming (server-side)
  4. Finish design and do client-side programming
  5. Promoting

This is over simplyfied, of course :slight_smile:

Hey Steve, that is an automated email which would have been triggered when your registration was finally successful.

I’m sorry that your experience has been less than ideal. Mal worked super hard on the registration process but unfortunately a few people fell through the cracks, as is usually the way with a new venture.

We’re definitely keen to hear your feedback so that we can get things running more smoothly for next time, so if you can find the time, flick us an email at courses@sitepoint.com and let us know what we could have done better.

I hope things go a bit more to plan for you now and that you enjoy the course.

Can you please PM me your email address so I can see why your support ticket wasn’t responded to? I made sure all course support tickets were cleared before I left.

Sammy … I very much doubt anyone has time to take you thru all this! I would suggest some time spent on web searches, as you will find a huge amount of info out there on just this subject, some of which will offer very simple means for those who are not into coding yet.

Also - IMO best not to post your own email address - it is an invitation to land you with much spam!

Ok, I’m now finally into the course area.

Unfortunately, rather than email me and apologise for the problem, Sitepoint emailed me with:

We’re excited that you’ve signed up for our PHP Live course
that kicked off today. However, we noticed that you haven’t
completed your registration yet.

The first lesson is live right now, and your classmates are
discussing it in the private forum as you read this, so don’t
waste any more time.

Which makes me even more annoyed as they’re highlighting that I’m now behind and missing out! And blaming it on me!!!

And then the response on the forums:

Support responses would have been limited as it was a public holiday yesterday here in Australia!

Well even if it was a public holiday here, but I had 3000 paying customers starting on a brand new project that day, I’d make sure we’d keep a pretty damn good eye on the support queue, even if I have to do it myself! Especially when it seems to be a system that Sitepoint haven’t really got working properly yet.

All a bit disappointing. Sitepoint are supposed to be the experts!

As the guy who was in the office all of Sunday and yesterday on their day off making sure the courses platform was up and support queue was responded to, I’ll take that as a ‘thanks’.

No, you’d probably better not - because you didn’t respond to my support issue, so I wasted my time trying to find out how to get into the course.

I’m sure others will be thankful though if you responded to them.

Was there really only you there on launchday?! Maybe Sitepoint isn’t big enough yet to run this size of project.

MY name is sammy i need to create a web but a dnt know how and where to start . I am a student at unisa in south africa so i need help frm u . please any information u hv please help me with it .Here is my Email Address(email address deleted). Please help me to create a web please .

PM Mal directly, Ong. That’s the best thing you can do :slight_smile:

Personally, I think you’re taking it a bit too personal (I guess it is personal stuff :D)

It looks like an automatic response, not an answer that was directed solely to you… and regarding putting the blame on you… I don’t think that’s the case. If you’re going to receive any apologies… it will not be from an automated system!

Regarding the 3000 paying customers… Up to a point, I think you’re right but…you and I know that this course costs much more than $29.95… you’re receiving excellent value for your money! Wouldn’t that be worth a bit of patiente and understanding?

The system is brand new and still needs to be fit perfectly. As time goes by, I am sure that it will work smoothlessly and perfectly…

If you have any experience with programming, you will know that no matter what you do and how many tests you run, things tend to go astray when they go live. :slight_smile: