Introduction to Docker for WordPress Developers

Originally published at: http://www.sitepoint.com/docker-for-wordpress-developers/

Up until now, we’ve seen a number of different options for development environments. We’ve seen what Vagrant VVV and Chassis can do; both are great solutions, and both build on top of Vagrant. If you’ve started developing using Vagrant solutions, then good for you. But wait, there is one more option. In this article we will see what Docker is, and how to start using it in your WordPress projects.

Why Docker?

Docker is an open source platform that helps you build, run and deploy applications. In this article, we will start using Docker with WordPress, but it’s really easy to use with any other CMS or framework, and every language out there. Docker has been a buzzword in the DevOps community for sometime. Consider this: in its first 1.0 stable release, many cloud providers started adopting Docker. If you have used Heroku or other PaaS for a while, you may know that it’s easy to develop on them. With most PaaS providers, you have a web container, a database container, a container that saves files, and so on. Each container is different and communicates with each other via IPs and Ports. PaaS platforms also uses container technologies.

Continue reading this article on SitePoint
1 Like

Is there an equivalent to vagrant share in docker? Besides for the obvious one of the things I have come to love about vagrant is using share to broadcast a public domain to the vm. This makes it possible to easily access the local vm on any remote device for testing like phones. That feature in itself is why I would stick with vagrant over something like Docker. It is going to take a lot to get me away from vagrant + puphpet and I’m not sold there is much value to be gained using Docker.

We will start using it soon. Nice read!

Hi @oddz . That was my initial thought. Its true that is a bit hard to move away from Vagrant. But you will see after some articles that you will start loving Docker. This series on Docker and WordPress (not only WordPress but for other frameworks and usecases), is near 11 parts. So there are other 10 to be published. In the next article there is a plain Docker configuration with terminal. Things get interesting when Docker-Compose is being used. I admit that if tools like Docker-Compose didn’t exists, I wouldn’t either use Docker.

There are more parts to come @thetracyfirm. Things will get more interesting :smile:

That all looks great but I don’t think you answered my question. Does Docker provide a feature like vagrant share where one can broadcast a public URL to a vm to access on remote devices through http.

I don’t thing Docker support this. But as containers have an IP you can use tools like Ngrok to do that.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.