Ip Address never stops changing

It drives me nuts. My Ip address changes daily and there’s no way to block myself out of things like analytics. Does anyone have an idea on this?

I use my T-Mobile phone as my internet.

Oh I see, then what is the most recommendable thing to do?

If you need a static IP you need to ask your ISP nicely and provide a rationale - like, you need to run a web/mail/dns server from your connection.

You may find, however, that this is against the terms of service of some ISPs, and if it isn’t, they may still be unwilling to give a static IP.

There is no harm in trying. You must try it first then inform us if you get it.

Just look at their business plans. Often the difference between the home and business plans (apart from the price difference) is that you get a static IP address for the extra ten or twenty dollars a month you pay for the equivalent business plan.

You can use cookies on your site to make sure the analytics code is not included for you.

How do you use cookies?

It’s a fact of life.

IP addresses are a scarce resource, so companies are not going to hand them out to people who aren’t expected to be running servers from their connection. Instead they have a pool of them that they hand out to people on demand.

If you need a static IP you need to ask your ISP nicely and provide a rationale - like, you need to run a web/mail/dns server from your connection.

You may find, however, that this is against the terms of service of some ISPs, and if it isn’t, they may still be unwilling to give a static IP.

Does the phone’s net connection go into “sleep mode” after x number of hours inactivity? If it does it might be dropping the connection and so you get a new IP upon reconnection, if that’s the case then just disable the “sleep mode”.

Another possibility is that T-Mobile give everyone a new IP address once every 24hrs.

Sounds like the account you have with your ISP is not one that offers a fixed IP address. To get a fixed IP address you’ll need to change the particular service you have with the ISP or change to a different ISP.

You will be more likely to find a fixed IP address offered with a business account than on one intended for home use (where the contantly changing IP address is presumed to not matter).

Since ISPs can charge more for a fixed IP address many have deliberately configured their cheaper options to change the IP address every so often in order to produce two different types of account in order to be able to apply that price difference.

There weren’t much in the way of personal computers (I think that was more so in the 80s). But I do believe at the time punch cards were all the rage.

Several languages (e.g. Machine code) did exist then, most notably - Fortran.

Ontopic: Change your service plan.

thanks,

You’ve been programming what since 1978? Computers?! Weren’t dinosaurs still roaming the Earth at that time? All jokes aside no one had a pc really at that time?

I think I clogged the hole for the time being. It was nice when I had a static ip instead of a pooled ip (I guess you’d call it?).

Thanks

You could always use your hostname instead of your IP… How many people on t-mobile are browsing your site anyways?

The business plan point is a good one, though I am not aware of mobile phone companies providing a business plan with a static IP like an ADSL company would. Worth looking into though.

However, it’s probably overkill if all you want to do is to exclude yourself from your web stats.

Don’t Google Analytics have a cookie feature for that?