iPad Mini? Is Apple trying too hard now to "keep up"?

So, talk is Apple should have a new iPad Mini out in the next couple of weeks. Do you think the market is going to eat this up like they did with the not-so-thrilling iPhone 5? I mean, I am an apple fanboy at times and I have spent my fair share on Apple products… but an iPad Mini I am not so sure, especially based off of some of the pricing techie blogs have mentioned and speculated. I get the iPad totally… just an iPad mini questionable if the price is too high?

Do you think it all comes down to PRICE as the major deal breaker if it survives???

Share your thoughts!

Hi Spartinman! Apple always give some thing different and new to its customers. I like Apple products specially its creative and innovative design. Apart from this, it has unique features and apps. Apple products are always liked by people. I hope iPad Mini by Apple Inc will also be liked by everyone and will drive large number of audiences.

Difficult for them to price this competitively without cannibalising ipod touch sales, and being able to compete with the google nexus 7/amazon 7" tablets.
It’ll be interesting to see apple zealots eating humble pie as to the hypocrisy of this release, seeing as how Jobs criticised the form factor and swore they’d never do it.

To put it simply, Apple is facing strong competition with Android devices. Not only because of the various sizes of the devices, but because of each platform’s philosophy–open & customizable versus closed & constrained.

Competition is always good in the tech market, as it forces competing companies to develop better, faster, and cheaper products. So, yes, Apple is certainly feeling the heat of competition if they suddenly came out with a device that their former CEO swore they would never do (though it was at a point in time when they essentially had a monopoly on the tablet market; now they don’t).

When I heard about the rumors, I really don’t like the idea of having a new iPad mini. I was like “why on earth would they reduce the size of their current iPad? that is just ridiculous” evern though there is definitely a market for people who would like 7-8 inch tablets.

However, I could relate it back to Apple’s 2010 event where they introduced the iPad. I was like: “That is just an enlarged iPod Touch. Ridiculous.” But then, look at where the product is. Not ridiculous after all. I was wrong. The rest is history.

Okay, iPad Mini is out now. $329 price… did apple totally miss the memo on this one with the competition offering up $200 tabs in this “form-factor”???

I can get a 10" android tablet for $300-$350. I agree, that price isn’t competitive (unless you need to use the iOS platform for something).

On a related note, I just saw some rumblings in a few articles about Google releasing a 10" nexus tablet in addition to the 7" nexus tablet that’s currently available. Here’s one of them:

iPad mini is trying to capture different niche - pocket pc.

the iPad mini is just a bigger galaxy note 2

They already have the iPod Touch, which is essentially an iPhone without phone service.

i was abit disappointed with the price of the iPad - thought it would have been slightly less than quoted, but then again can see people flocking to buy them. I’ll be buying one soon. Waiting a while - im expecting faults in them and then a upgrade to fix those faults, its common now for Apple let their testing be done after the launch lol

Though I am an Apple lover but the truth is they are not presenting what they are expected to deliver. Apple is struggling from the very next day since Steve Jobs passed.

Apple is trying t maintain its customers. There are too many products on the market already, Google introduces Nexus, Amazon - Kindle Fire and you see where it goes. many people may turn to other products because of their lower prices and good functionality. In addition, the competitors can be very aggressive.

Mr Cook is cooking up its executives in the way of Steve Jobs legacy. The change in execs level is bigger and Cook is not afraid of anything. What he has stated in his comments is “The software needs to be cooperate more with its hardware”. Let’s see the changes that have been made is whether bring the keep the hope up on Apple products? I don’t have any comments on iPAD mini but I hope the next release would be well fit with what people would love to experience on their hands.

I actually like the fact that Cook is trying to make the company his own. He has his own rules and ways on running the company. I think that is a good sign of leadership.

Apple products are great ,but android is a good competition for them