iPad or (OTHER) Tablet for Mobile Website Development?

Hey guys and gals,

I don’t own a tablet or iPad but am thinking about getting one (or the other) so i can test mobile website layouts. my concern isn’t really developing aps for either device (at least not at the moment) and would just want to test the layout to make sure the sites look nice on these types of devices.

What are your thoughts? I know with iPhones they work a bit differently and sometimes display differently than an android phone… are the iPad/android tablets the same in this regard?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Do you have a Mac? If so, download the free Apple Developer Kit, which has the excellent iPhone/iPad Simulator. I’ve found it to be very accurate.

I do. I’ll get on that. I guess i was leary because i’ve had some crappy emulators in the past… but it’s apple so it should “just work” right? haha (jk pc peeps)

Actually, I find the iPad emulator to be superior to iPads in some scenarios. Easier to copy / paste, easier to get onto the right network if that matters.

Render-wise it seems quite accurate, what it doesn’t do is let you know when some feature of your web ui really doesn’t work with a touch interface – the mouse is still vastly more accurate than a fingertip.

You can also get window/browser/mobile resizer apps/extensions for your Google Chrome browser to accurately size windows for a wide variety of phone and tablets.

If your website design is completely compatible with the iPad without flash components then showing the full site to the IPad browser can work well.