iPhone 5s for Professional Photography

I have photo sharing website where people share their photos but most of the photos are uploaded by me. I am taking these photos with my iPhone 5s but recently one of my journalist friend told me to switch to Canon camera to have better quality photos for your website. I am not sure if I should follow his advice because the photos looking in a good quality so why I should switch?

Please advice…

You shouldn`t switch. Stick with the iphone. It has the best quality you need on your website. No Canon could be better!

But when I am taking photo in a little dark place the photo quality is very bad. The photo has dot dot seems the pixels are less. Is it with only my iPhone?

I don’t know what the photo quality is like with an iPhone, as I’ve never used one.

I have an old (good quality) Kodak compact camera, which takes decent pictures in most conditions, but I found it a bit limiting and recently bought a Panasonic Lumix “bridge” camera. The thing which has astonished me most about my new camera is just how good the pictures are in low light. It can take pictures in natural light (without need of a tripod for long exposure) where my previous camera would have needed to use flash.

My guess is that a camera designed exclusively for taking photographs will always have the edge over a phone designed to do many other things as well, but that’s just my gut feeling, not based on any hard evidence. :slight_smile:

iPhone photos are fine for taking happy snaps, but I haven’t seen them take any kind of professional-grade photos. A really nice camera can do so much better, like blurring the background etc. etc.

It is swings and roundabouts:
The Iphone is convenient as you will have it with you most of the time, it is small and so portable and it takes photos that are web quality.
You are unlikely to carry dslr or csc camera with you all the time but it takes a better photo which you could blow up and put on the wall.

The spots you are talking about are probably sensor “noise” ( the phone probably changes to a more sensitive setting to keep the shutter speed high which means more noise ) and Canons have a good reputation for working in low light and will not suffer as much.

I suppose the best thing is to have both; the Iphone will always be there for a spur of the moment photo but if you are going out particularly to take a photo take the camera.

Does you friend have a camera - why not go out together and take the same photo and compare them.

I always take the best quality photo I can ( my camera has different quality settings ) as you never know if you might want to crop it or blow it up to put it on the wall.

Of course in low light a tripod or monopod are very useful but that is more to carry!

It all depends. If you are taking mostly snapshots with great lighting, you may be able to get by with it. If you’re wanting low light photos…or photos of things occurring at night (lunar eclipse, bonfires, birthday parties, etc) you may want to consider a different camera. We went with a Canon & love it. Also, if you are trying to benefit monetarily from your website, I’m guessing that you want the best possible quality photos you can get…if you can get great photos with yours, then do it & just be sure to only post the ones that do not have compromised lighting problems. People only have to see a couple that are not so good before deciding that it’s not worth their time to visit the site any longer.

I personally think that a professional canon camera cannot be replaced by iphone. Although iPhone is good for photography by with cam it has no comparison.

A phone camera will never match the quality and versatility of a professional camera (except in a very limited range of scenarios) for a number of reasons. The primary one is sensor size.

• sensor. The sensor on a full frame camera has maybe 100x the surface area, and not built to a price point in the range of cents, which equates to better accuracy through a wider dynamic range and less noise, across a much larger sensitivity range. A larger sensor gives more possibilities to control your depth of field.

• optics. A decent lens for a DSLR costs as much (or a lot more) than a mobile phone, and you need a lot of them to cover different photography scenarios. It’s not possible to shrink the amount of glass required for low distortion focusing on a large sensor into the thickness of a phone. A long and fast zoom for sports photography typically costs 10x a phone and is 10x the size.

• control. Most phones don’t have the manual control over aperture, focal point, zoom, sensitivity etc. that real photographers need.

• responsitivity. When you click the button, you want to take the shot within milliseconds, not half a second later when the shot has passed.

• filters. Polarisation or graduated tint to maximize dynamic range before the light gets in the camera? No chance.

Sure, you can take good quality snaps in good light of fairly static objects without any of the above using a phone, but any true -professional- photographer will chuckle at you defining yourself as a pro.

If you can afford a professional camera, and you are passionate about photography then yes, a camera is needed. But just for sharing some photos as a hobby… that cost is not justified.

Its funny that I come across this thread, because I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 for my blog. The camera on it is amazing and it does 4k rez video. And it has a super long battery life. The best part about it is I can take it anywhere and be able to take awesome pictures or video with almost no effort. I really think its going to give my blog the edge I need because I will be taking lots of local photographs.

I think the improvements in technoogy are great. And I have no doubt “phone cameras” can take geat “point and shoot” pictures that combined with image software will be more than adequate for the web or sharing with family and friends. But I highly doubt they can take what I would consider “professional quality” images any more than I think my running car makes a great garage heater.

Unless your running some kind of high quality image website, your going to be compressing the pictures anyway. I don’t see the point of spending thousands of dollars on camera equipment when phones like the iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy S5 can take amazing pictures. And on top of that you don’t have to carry around any bulky equipment.

I agree 100%
But this thread is abour Professional Photography. not “web quality” photos

You are right, but I am assuming he is compressing the images because he said they are for a website. The pictures from my Samsung Galaxy S5 are 6mb in size uncompressed. I am assuming the iPhone 5 is the same.

Fair point. If @taranum; is not concerned about the images being used for anything other than in rendered pages than what he has should be more than adequate.

I think what he meant by getting a Canon, is to have a professional camera. I know that iPhone 5s has a great camera but you cannot compare that with a good professional camera such as Canon EOS 1100D