Is 1mbp leased line enough for starting server to host multi simple sites?

i’m thinking to take 1 mbps leased line to connect a server for hosting many sites , i calculated bandwidth for this speed and i see that it’s not so bad ! so what is your opinions ? it will cost me money but it’s my old dream to build my own small data center :blush: ?

its better for you to rent a cheap dedicated server with a 100mbps shared bw its sound better…

Any line is enough to host from, however, you need to think about the speed end users will see - I used to host my sites on my ADSL connection at home, which used to be ok when most people were still on dialup, but wiht the higher uptake of DSL (and now, a lot faster than a single connections upstream) its not worth it.

Equally, the electricity cost alone can add up if you run a computer at home 24/7. You’d probably be best looking at a cheap server in a proper data center to be honest. Or, if you want to use your own hardware, colocation.

thank you all , your all opinions are true and i know it :frowning: , but let us guess that all persones who will browse sites , will not do all requests at the same time , so i think that line output bw will be enough to deal with all requests , (example : if visitors are browsing sites only without download any files , and 1mbps speed will give me 128kbps upload/per second , so if we say that the outband will be totally 100kbps per second ! in the server , so it will be not problem !!)) i think that !!

If you are happy to accept that, and know you won’t be hosting large amounts of data on the line, it should be ok to start with, but I would guess you’d quickly want more bandwidth.

I know my personal server started that way, but has very gone beyond that even with simple sites.

If you plan for offering shared hosting 1 Mbps will never be enough. Now, you need to understand the speed at which the sites are to operated by the clients. When you try to multiplex this bandwidth among multiple users the service will suck.

Better option is to buy a reseller hosting account from a reliable and experineced reseller host provider.

I’m of the opinion that home hosting isn’t a worthwhile exercise - in every aspect e.g performance, economy, security, scalability, consistency - a home provision won’t match up to even the cheapest of regular data-centre hosting.

i’m thinking to take 1 mbps leased line to connect a server for hosting many sites , i calculated bandwidth for this speed and i see that it’s not so bad ! so what is your opinions ? it will cost me money but it’s my old dream to build my own small data center :blush: ?

When you calculated your bandwidth did you take into account peaks which are possible for any sites?

A 1Mbps network feed would not be enough to support a webhosting server with more than 100 sites or so. It would have to be very very small and text only websites for them to function without speed lags.

You should consider a 100 mbps line with about 3000Gb to 5000 GB data transfer or more. If not, a 10 Mbps unmetered would also work. 1 Mbps will not be sufficient.